Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

COOLANT IN OIL

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by josephn, May 17, 2001.

1. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

I JUST REPLACED MY HEAD GASKET ON MY 6.2 DIESEL AND AFTER I HAD FINISHED I CHECKED THE OIL AND NOTICED IT WAS LOW SO I GO TO ADD OIL AND I SEE GREEN ANTI-FREEZE IN THE FILLER NECK.

DO I HAVE TO REBUILD THE WHOLE ENGINE NOW OR SHOULD I JUST CHANGE THE OIL / COOLANT AND JUST RUN TILL IT DIES?

IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I CAN DO FOR IT?

1982 6.2L Diesel K5 Blazer, TH700, 31 inch tires.
    Fire ALWAYS makes it better.

2. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Take the capslock off. Have you run the motor after you replaced the gasket? If you haven't, I would think that is from when your gasket needed to be replaced. If that were the case, I would drain everything out, add oil and let it run for a little while, drain that out (I know it's expensive on diesels) until you don't have any coolant in the oil. If after a couple of times it doesn't get better, then your new gasket is leaking.

If the coolant is there after you have run the motor, then the gasket is leaking. Did you have the heads machined?

[​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html>http://k5chevyblazer.homestead.com/home.html</A>

3. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Turn the caps off....What was the reason for changing the head gasket? Should be able to dump the oil and filter and run it for a while and then do another oil change. If you don't have a cracked head or block a little won't hurt. If it continueas to have coolant in the oil, then you have a problem.

4. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

Sorry about the CAPS, anyway I haven't run it yet so I am assuming that it was there before I put the new gasket on.

5. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

I changed them after I found that two of my glow plugs were ballooned and i got one out ok but the others tip broke off in the cylinder.

6. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

We had this problem in our auto shop's late 70's Gm pickup. It turned out to be a cracked head, but hopefully this isn't your case.

Shutup Brain or I'll stab you with a Q-Tip - Homer J. Simpson