Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Coolant in the TBI adaptor on a 454?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 6.2puller, Sep 10, 2006.

1. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Ok I got a strange coolant leak at the back of my manifold. I was thinking it was a intake gasket leak or a crack in the intake but after pulling the air cleaner for a closser look it appears that I have a hose that runs out of the upper water pump plug that usually isn't used that runs through the TBI adaptor and then becomes the inlet to the heater core. What is this for? Preheating the fuel for some emmisions reason? I am going to bypass it as the threaded pc in the back of the adapter is what is leaking and I see no benefit of running through the adaptor. Am I wrong?

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Its to improve fuel atomization - or so the story goes. Same effect as the fully water jacketed intake used a couple years later.

What do the aftermarket performance TBI intakes do? Dry or water jacketted?

3. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

4. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

It helps if you live in a cold area for warm up but other than that you could by pass it and see a little power gain. GM did the same thing with TPI they ran coolant through the throttle body, it is a common mod to remove this so the intake can be cooler for better power

5. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

That was what I thought and I think thats what is going to happen. I had seen it on newer motors but never on a TBI motor befor. :confused:

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Be prepared to re-install it on those cold, humid New England mornings, brother.........:deal:

7. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

You think it will be different than the other TBI motors I have had that haven't had that much trouble?

8. Can Can

A 454 sucks in monstrous amounts of air- you already know that. Add humidity and temperatures below freezing to the mix and you risk icing up the throttle plates. I'm not sure how cold you get where you're at, but up my way we have to make sure that all the factory "warmup" systems are operational and in good condition, or we get cold start freeze-up problems on a regular basis.

9. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

We usually only get 0* for a week or so maybe a couple sub 0* days. Nothing really cold. I guess I will leave enough hose to splice it back in and get some barbed fittings for the adaptor. Then I can swap it back and fourth with minimal coolant loss.

10. Can Can

Hmmmmm. I thought you guys got a lot colder than that. :doah:

I guess you could always do a couple of trial runs with the line clamped off to see if it affects anything, but if you're not getting sub-zero temps you probably don't have much to worry about.

Sorry for the confusion, brother.

11. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I sense a Celsius/Farenheit discrepancy. ;)

12. Can Can

I never thought of that, brother.:doah: :doah:

0' Farenheit is equal to around -17' Celcius, which is plenty cold enough to cause intake/throttle plate freeze up, especially if the humidity is over 30%.

I would suggest clamping off the coolant line for now and refraining from removing the fitting and hose until you're sure the beast isn't gonna start running goofy come wintertime.

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Cannamore is right...in a way!..

Your correct in your assumption our "humid cool mornings" might be troublesome here!..I have a carb icing dilema in every GM vehicle I've owned,whether it was a SBC,BBC,or a six banger..Throttle bodies freeze up just like a carb will under the same conditions...thus the factory coolant passage to "de-ice" it,and the hot air pipes going to the carb from the exhaust manifold,and the heat riser passages under the carb in the intake manifold....

Icing can,and often does, occour at temps as high as 50 degrees!..its most apt to occour between 28-50 degrees..here,its not that often we get down to,or below zero--but when we do,the air is usually bone dry,and I've rarely experienced icing on those kinds of days...but we have many 30-50 degree days with rain,drizzle,snow,and fog,that are the pits if you have a "cold blooded" carb or throttle body...

My 79 C10 suffers a lot from carb icing,the Edelbrock carb and its spacer never warm up enough to vaporize the fuel well,or keep ice off the throttle plates on cool damp days,unless I use manifold vacuum to hold the heat riser (EFE) dewhickey closed,and run a stock air cleaner with all the factor hot air plumbing working correctly..then it runs great..its a dangerous situation to have a truck that stalls every time you take your foot off the gas--and mine does just that if I try using the Edelbrock "open" air filter,and no "heat" to the intake manifold..

I never realized how much better an engine runs with properly atomized fuel..that "hot spot" is a nesessity,not an option really..

I have found you can "fudge" things by using a few cans of Isopropanol alcohol dry gas,if your not into keeping everything stock...it keeps the ice from forming,and freezing up..

:crazy:

14. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

I can't just clamp it off because it is the inlet to the heater core. I am going to run a new hose directly from the pump to the heater core with enough extra hose to reconnect the TBI adaptor if I need to. I will get the correct hose barbs to replace the hard lines at the adaptor so that if I need to splice it in this winter I can easily.

15. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

you could look around for a valve that way you could run every thing then it is only a matter of switching the postion of a few inline valves to rerout the coolant