Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Coolant Leak

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by daleearnhardt01, Jan 11, 2004.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Got a water leak that I cant quite figure out where its coming from. Its really slow and on the front of the motor. I runs down a wire loom for the starter, then drips to the axle vent tube, then drips off the axle. I put some BarsLeak in it and it stopped it for a while but now its back. Pressure tested it and it didnt leak so Im at a loss. One of the other mechanics at work said it could be intake or a freeze plug. Another person said possibly the weep hole on the water pump. I hope its just the water pump. Any other ideas?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If its the weep hole, yeah, thats any easy change...barely tough your finger under the water pump where the weep hole is and see if there is any fluid coming from the hole.

3. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

Check up on the intake, around the thermostat housing, sometimes you will get a leak there that will run down the front of the engine. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I'm goin' with the water pump on this one... Use a mirror and look at the weephole on the bottom of the pump. Also check the hose(s).

John

5. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

yeah I talked to Chris the other day and told him to check that weephole...should be the problem

Later

6. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

You can buy coolant die and add it in to try and help locate the leak.
    Bill

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

any update?

8. daleearnhardt01

Yeah I got an update /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I needed to get my steering column tightened (no way Im gonnna do it) so I let one of my co workers at the shop do it this week. While he had it in there we put it in the air and he looked and looked and couldnt find anything really. I guess the BarsLeak stopped the leak. Water pump looks good and the pulley has no play so thats all I was really concerned about - waterpump or not. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I will say this, the only problem with Barsleak is that it can plug you heater core. Thus nescessitating replacement /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I hope it works out for you, however. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

John

10. daleearnhardt01

Hmmmm never thought of that John. Oh well theyve all used it for years at the shop so its probably ok.