Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

coolant leaking onto passenger side floor HELP!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by johnnieg, Jul 10, 2003.

1. johnnieg

johnnieg 1/2 ton status

I noticed some fluid dripping out of the vent box today and it smells like coolant and was warm to the touch. I'm thinking the heater core has a leak or something in that area. If there are any other possibilities that would be helpful and how much is a heater core? My Blazer is my work truck and I cant have it crap out on me for too long. Thanks

2. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

sounds like a heater core

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes it is your heater core they are easy to fix and cheap they are under $30 you could always bypass the heater core during the summer but if it gets cold in the winter there you better fix it before then lol

4. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

5. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

when mine was leaking I bypassed the heater core, BUT this
    caused rough engine. Guess the intake was then running too cool. Put in new core (AutoZone best price I found) and engine smoothed out. Anybody know where that small heater box spring goes??? That and a few plastic-grabber screws left over!

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Don't let anyone BS you either, a heater core is easy to replace, just time consuming! I dreaded doing mine forever, but after I did it, I wondered why I hadn't done it sooner!

At least it's warm outside, it'll be an EASY fix in this weather~!!

7. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't let anyone BS you either, a heater core is easy to replace, just time consuming! I dreaded doing mine forever, but after I did it, I wondered why I hadn't done it sooner!

At least it's warm outside, it'll be an EASY fix in this weather~!!

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed.... hell i even replaced one in my '86 z-28... center console had to come out.... entire dash had to be unbolted and moved sideways.... steering wheel lowered...
    all it is is time...

but my /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif was just a few bolts... out then in.... in no time.. i love the older chevies.... /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

8. johnnieg

johnnieg 1/2 ton status

Thanks, guys. I'm going to take care of it this weekend and will update on the repair upon completion. Yeah it shouldn't be too hard, just take a while. what really sucks is that I was gonna take a girl wheeling this weekend. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Oh well. May just have to go in my dad's Bronco /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif