Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Coolant level question

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Can Can, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

How low does the coolant sit in YOUR rad when the engine is cold? Is it full to the filler neck or down a few inches?

I have a post going in the Garage detaling a problem I'm having with my coolant level if anyone needs more background info...

2. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Mine is at the neck. Had the "low coolant" light come on once. When I checked it (cool but engine running) was down maybe 3-4 inches, res had maybe an inch or two.

When I went to fill it (engine off about 12 hours later) it was full???? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I know I have a teeny tiny leak at the thermostat housing and another on the heater hose (stupid mid-hose splice), but it stays pretty constant level.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How low does the coolant sit in YOUR rad when the engine is cold? Is it full to the filler neck or down a few inches?

I have a post going in the Garage detaling a problem I'm having with my coolant level if anyone needs more background info...

[/ QUOTE ]

Usually it should be a little low when cold, to leave room for expansion when hot.
    The newer trucks have the expansion tank or recovery tank and with those you will have the water up to the neck and when it expands it will go in the tank and then when it cools down it retrieves it from the tank.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif