Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Coolant smell

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 19Jimmy87, May 15, 2002.

1. 19Jimmy87

19Jimmy87 Registered Member

I am really new to the fullsize and older model 4x4. I need some ideas for why I am smelling this. I have had a flush and fill, the hose are good, no leaks. Why else could I be smelling this? Question #2-Is there any cheap way to brighten up the instrument cluster? All I have now is a faint orange glow. Also, I seen a pic of a cool fastback style soft top. Who has this, how much did it cost? Does it render the back seat inusable? Thank you all for being here.

2. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Your heater core is leaking. Check the passenger side floor for dampness. There is a write-up in the tech section on how to replace it.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If you are getting a coolant smell inside the cab. your heater core may have a small leak in it and may need to be repalced.

Have you tried turning the light switch to the left. That should brighten up the insturment lights. If theyt dont work check the bulbs or maby a bad ground ?

4. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Like they said, check your passenger side floor under the dash, it is probably wet from the heater core leaking. I just had this happen to mine...it's not TOO hard to replace and fix, just labor intensive and a very tight area to work in!

As for your bulbs, you can replace them with new bulbs that are brighter - my brother just did this on his 89 Burb dash lights - I was very impressed with how much brighter they came out as compared to my stock 87 dash lights! Like your's, my dash lights give more of a "glow" than real light!

Good luck!

5. 19Jimmy87

19Jimmy87 Registered Member

Thanks all. I will check into everything.