Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

coolant temp sensor location

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mike87, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Mike87

Mike87 Registered Member

New crate motor with Edelbrock intake and q-jet. Runs awesome. I questioned the stock guage (no numbers) and installed an AutoMeter, but put the sensor in the intake manifold instead of the head (cause I did not want to make a huge mess) and am noticing the temp running at 150F. I have a new (the 2nd one) 180F thermostat. Do I need to relocate the sensor to get the correct temp or is something else wrong? (thermostat stuck open?)

Thanks,
    Mike

2. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey,
    I've noticed that a good spot for that sensor is on the drivers side of the block, inbetween the 1st and 3rd cylinder. lower than the spark plugs. My friend put his in his edelbrock intake and it did read many degrees cooler. The aluminum dispirses heat quicker and will give a lower temp reading. also, that sensor is closer to the direct radiator flow. (the colder coolant mix is going to hit that sensor faster). that's all i can think of.
    Blake

Who needs new parts when there are junk yards and hardware stores ?

3. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Haviong it in the manifold, especially by the thermostat can cause it to read incorrectly. I just moved mine from there to the head location and all my temp guage weirdness vanished!

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://24.55.50.76:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

4. Mike87

Mike87 Registered Member

Thanks for the tips. I will move the sensor and see what happens. I just did not want to make a big mess. I am getting sick of coolant.

Mike