Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Coolant Temperature indicator

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MILOLGJC, Oct 3, 2003.

MILOLGJC Registered Member

Sep 27, 2002
    I have a 76 with a 350 4B. After long engine compartment restoration. New water pump, hoses, radiator, thermostat etc. I ran vehicle and got no temp rise on gage. Replaced temp coolant sensor and still no response. Removed dash components and tested dash the electrics and found no power at the gage connection. Later found a wired shorted out. Replaced wires, but now facing a different problem. The temperature rises rapidly off scale after initial start and then settles down to about 3/4 scale, the needle also seem to react quickly to ovht side of scale with a full throttle acceleration. There is no evidence of overheating going on otherwise and the engine compartment doesn't seem unusually hot. The system is not leaking and the lower radiator hose is not collapsing. I am stumped and will probably replace the coolant sensor again. Previous sensor was from NAPA. Thanks for the input. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif