Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Coolant Usage

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudRebel350, Aug 20, 2000.

1. MudRebel350

MudRebel350 1/2 ton status

I usually have to fill up my coolant every now and then, I'd say every month or so. Is this normal? Its not extremely low but its enough that I will notice a slight rise in temperature.

JD
    88 Gmc Jimmy

2. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

Do you have a overflow tank and is it hookedup? I had a slow leak in my overflow tank so when the fluid ran over to it-it was lost.

3. MudRebel350

I have an overflow tank and its hooked up and theres no spots in the driveway from that area. Sometime ill put a little coolant or water in the overflow and it will be gone real quick.

JD
    88 Gmc Jimmy

4. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

You have to have a leak somewhere-pour some water in the overflow tank when the engine is cold and come back after a while and see if it's still there-if it is, check water pump weep hole after engine gets hot-it might be only leaking when you're going down the road.

5. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Could also be pin holes in the radiator. Look for greenish color spot this indicates a leak. When the truck get hot most of it will evaporate. My 89 did this for a while till the bottom of the radiator finally roted out. But before that was leaking from water pump.

6. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

You could also see if you can rent a pressure tester, from your local auto parts store. I know that we rent them at the Autozone that I work at. It is just a pump with a cap that replaces your radiator cap, and you pump up the pressure, and try to look for the leak. Good luck. - Steve

Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

7. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

One last thing is does your K5 blow any white smoke when you drive it? You may have an internal leak that is small.

Mike
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

8. Mine puffs a cloud or two of white smoke first thing in the AM when I start it. I have noticed I am losing a little coolant too. Are these related?

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Could be you have a minor head gasket or intake leak that is letting coolant into your cylinders.

Mike
    1982 GMC Jimmy - <font color=green>Emmett</font color=green>
    http://emmett.coloradok5.com

10. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

be careful i dont know if the blazer trany cooler is connected to the radiator but my friend just had a similar problem with his dodge. turned out coolant leaked into the trany fluid and did a good amout of damage. i have a manual we dont have that problem.

11. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Check under the passenger side carpet after turning the heating on for a while. This will open the heater core for water circulation. If it's wet, your heater core may need to be changed.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

12. MudRebel350

My truck only blows white smoke in the morning when its cold other than that it will never blow white smoke.

JD
    88 Gmc Jimmy