Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

COOLENT IN OIL

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by josephn, May 17, 2001.

1. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

I JUST REPLACED MY HEAD GASKET ON MY 6.2 DIESEL AND AFTER I HAD FINISHED I CHECKED THE OIL AND NOTICED IT WAS LOW SO I GO TO ADD OIL AND I SEE GREEN ANTI-FREEZE IN THE FILLER NECK.

DO I HAVE TO REBUILD THE WHOLE ENGINE NOW OR SHOULD I JUST CHANGE THE OIL / COOLANT AND JUST RUN TILL IT DIES?

IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I CAN DO FOR IT?

1982 6.2L Diesel K5 Blazer, TH700, 31 inch tires.
    Fire ALWAYS makes it better.

2. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Change the oil. Buy, beg, borrow a radiator pressure tester. These can give you an indication if there is a real problem here (are you building extreme radiator pressure? - leaking head gsket). Possibly the coolant could have spilled out into the pan during the head removal/installation. You replaced the gasket, did you check the block/head for straightness? Did you replace the headbolts? (They should be, they're torque-to-yield bolts). When you pulled the head where there any cracks between the valves, common but can be repaired on the end cyclinders.

Hey just think how fast you can pull the head, the second time around ;-o

3. josephn

josephn 1/2 ton status

I checked the block and head for straightness, I also installed new head bolts too.

If my old head gasket was leaking then it is a good thing i broke off that plug. Come to think of it my wife told me she was getting whitish smoke from it about a week or two ago.
    But I never noticed it.

So now that it has coolant in the oil can i just change the oil a couple of times and then just run?

1982 6.2L Diesel K5 Blazer, TH700, 31 inch tires.
    Fire ALWAYS makes it better.

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

White smoke before? As in a dead glowplug on start up or continuous little wisps like steam? Check that radiator/cooloing system to see what's going on. If it is leaking it will continue so changing the oil won't fix it only prolong the inevitable.