Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cooling Fan Gap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Dave, Nov 20, 2000.

1. Dave

Dave Registered Member

I have a 1973 with a 400 small block. It's a pickup, not a Blazer, but this applies to both. The gap between my cooling fan and radiator is about 10 inches. This seems a little far away to me. Would I get a little bit better cooling if I installed an electric fan against the radiator, as opposed to a pulley fan on the engine?

Dave Hiller
    90 K-5 87 K-5, 84 K-15, 96 9c1 - Please don't slow down in front of me!

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I've got the same huge gap on my 87 K5 with a 305, along with a bodylift and no lower fan shroud. I haven't had any cooling problems, but I have been considering salvaging an electric fan from something in a junkyard and installing it as a pusher to assist the regular fan as insurance.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

You would definitely get better cooling with either a pusher fan (mounted in front of the radiator) or a puller electric (of course mounted in the engine compartment up against the radiator). I removed my mechanical, clutch driven fan when we rebuilt my motor and put in a single large puller fan in a shroud up against my radiator and it cools great.........you can see a picture of it on my website by TOMORROW. Just took pictures last night of the "completed" engine compartment and will post them later today.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

4. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I agree with the other posts. One technical note, for the stock fan shrouds, the shroud should end in the middle of the pitch of the fan blades. ie, half the fan blade in covered by the shroud, the other half isn't. This is supposed to be the most efficient fan shroud setup. As far as the electric pushers or pullers, I don't really know, but heard that pusher is better because it keeps the heat off the electric motor.

Cruisin in my '73.