Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cooling for AZ heat

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by teamhickman, Sep 12, 2004.

1. teamhickman

teamhickman 1/2 ton status

Assuming the existing cooling system is in serviceable condition, are you guy's doing anything to assist with cooling? I would imagine most of the auto guy’s are running additional tranny coolers but what about aux electric fans for the primary cooling and oil coolers?

Just trying to do some planning and I am curious to find out what’s working for everyone local to AZ.

Thanks,

Andrew

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My truck has a 3 core HD rad with built in tranny cooler on my 350cid. That takes care of my motors cooling needs. I do not have any electric fans on anything yet. The truck runs at 195-205 (195 stat) with TPI. TPI is said to run hot sometimes but I have not had a problem yet.

For the tranny I am running the fluid into the rad cooler then to an external cooler (stacked plate design), then to an external tranny filter, then back to the tranny.

My truck came equipped with a factory oil cooler so it uses that for the oil.

No PS cooler yet.

One day I might go with an electric pusher fan on the tranny cooler to help keep air moving threw it at slow speeds.

On the tranny cooler don't use fin style coolers, use the stacked plate style in the biggest available size. More is better for sure in this case.

3. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Andrew,

I run a 4 core radiator, Electric Pusher Fan, Tran Cooler seperate for system, I also run a powersteering cooler, and use the stock fan and clutch fan setup, with the factory shroud.

I use to run hot when I did not have the Doubler, now with the doubler on the trail, my trans rarley gets over 190 ish.

The motor I never have a problem with, it's the trans that I have had issues with, but the doubler fixed that problem.

Rob

4. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

I'm running a 4 core radiator with ford windstar cooling fans. T-sat is a 180. For the tranny I'm using the stock cooler plus a external in front of the radiator. For the tranny I also just replaced my leaking chrome (I know) tranny pan with a Deep aluminum pan with cooling fins. On the hotest of Yuma's days I may run 205. Out wheeling it may hit 210 but I've never seen it go above that.

5. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I am running a 4 core radiator as well. It is the biggest one I could fit in that spot. I use the stock fan/clutch as well. The pusher fans are a good help, but I haven't had any problems with my motor yet. The tranny temp is another issue, I have an exterior cooler on it and also use the radiator system with it. I have no PS cooler yet. I also run with no AC condenser and no inner fenders.

6. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

That's what we have in Wimpy as well. The only problem we've had was when the radiator that came with the truck sprung a leak. Remember the lake trip Paul and TJ? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Went and bought a new one and all is well. I even went so far as to hook up the temp sender and everything. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

7. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I run 3 core on the Tan Blazer , with the biggest auto trans cooler I could get at Autozone , 180 degree thermostat , stock fan , HD clutch , and 1 gallon or so of coolant . With the A/C on at 110 degrees out , it runs about 195 all the time , 210 at idle in traffic sometimes , higher than that and somethings wrong . In winter and spring , it runs about thermostat temp.

Always also remember the catch can and good cap /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

2 words...

aluminum radiator.

Marv

9. FWP

FWP CRS

[ QUOTE ]
    2 words...

aluminum radiator.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. If I could have afforded it when I built mine, that's what I would have. Specifically, a GM 2 core aluminum. Nick (Mosesburb) probably has the GM number somewhere.

10. justhorsinaround

So once again I get to show how ignorant I am. I was under the impression that radiators were aluminum. But now that you're makin a big deal about it I'm a bit confused.

11. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

I am running a good size tranny cooler, not using the OEM tranny cooler. Considering using an electric fan but so far I have not had a problem with over heating the tranny. Need to upgrade the radiator not sure what is the best yet thinking about going with an aluminum one.

<font color="red"> Hi-jack question:</font> If you are running an aluminum radiator are you suppose to use DEX-COOL or can you use regular antifreeze?

12. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That's an easy one Fred. It's a Delco 20978 (didn't even have to look it up). The bonus is that they have come down a bunch in price in the past few years. I have sold several to fellow wheelers, friends and customers and they have all held up very well.

13. mosesburb

NO DEXCOOL!!!!!!!! That crap should be illegal!! Just use a good quality green coolant with distilled water and it never hurts to put an electrolysis inhibitor in it either (I've used B-G Supercool for about 15yrs and have never had an electrolysis problem).
    Regarding Dexcool, GM touts that crap to be 100K coolant (150K now, I believe). If Dexcool is 100K coolant then ethylene glycol (green stuff) is 300K coolant. I have seen MANY(!!) cooling systems junked by 50K because of that crap. Bad, bad, bad stuff.

14. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

15. teamhickman

Outstanding information! Thank you!

Whats a base line cost for the GM alum. raditor?

Andrew

16. teamhickman

Alan,

As I understand it, copper has been in use since the begining and alum. got started in the mid 90's. I know copper is the most common and in most cases the least expensive. I also hear that alum. is far more effective but I would question it's use to cure a cooling problem. IMHO, a properely maintained factory system should do the job and may only require some additional coolers as the demand on the system increases.

Andrew

17. mosesburb

Should be about $250.00 +/-$25.00, buit I would check around as prices can vary greatly from place to place.

BTW: There are aftermarket versions of the #730 (aftermarket number for that style rad) out there, but the Delco is the only one I recommend because of the material the tanks are made of. The aftermarket units (imported units) have real crappy looking tanks that I personally would not trust.

18. justhorsinaround

Copper huh? Hmmmm Where have I been and what have I been smokin all this time?

19. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

$250 give or take. Wow that is an awsome price. My 4 core copper one was just under $200 3 years ago when I bought it.