Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cooling my 6.2.....

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 84CUCV, Nov 11, 2002.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Just had the radiator redone. All new hoses and clamps. Will a heater core for a 1 ton 6.2 cucv work in a cucv k5? Is there anything else I should replace while I am at it? I am looking for a thermostat for it. I was also looking for one if there is a problem with it will get stuck open or something like that. Anyone know what I mean? Anything else you guys could think of would be appreciated. Thanks Mike

2. 84CUCV

Does anyone know this? I really need help with this. Mike

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Yes, the heater cores/system is essentially the same. I've heard of T-stats like that but don't know the name. I run the Robert Shaw T-Stat, supposed to be the best for the 6.2/6.5.

4. 84CUCV

Where did you get it from? Is it a 160 or what? I don't even know what is in there so I thought since everything else is new I should replace that to. Thanks for the reply mike

5. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

My local NAPA guy got it for me, but I don't know if they all carry them. I got a 180, gotta have heat come winter. When it gets real cold, I even cover part of the radiator with cardboard.

6. 84CUCV

Thanks dieseldan. Mike

7. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

We don't get that cold down here in TX, but what I did was get a new four core and hoses, replace the thermo with a 180 cause that's factory... Need heat all the time(at least a little) for these trucks! Then I added an electric fan to increase cooling in these hot summers, works great!!!! If the Thermo gets stuckk open, it can be almost as bad as it stuck shut, a Diesel doesn't run well at all too cold, and too hot she runs bad too(also overheats), but stuck open would be better than shut.... What I do is keep tools handy and if she has such a problem, tap on the housing while she's running till she opens, when I get home, change it.... If that doesn't work, take the housing off and remove it till I can get home and replace it.... If it was a $1 difference, than I would go with the one that stayed open, but do to the original design, I would imagine that anything that advertises that would be a shame or really expensive and not worth your money!!!! The original cause for such a difect is not using the correct mixture of antifreeze and water... Too much antifreeze or water and the difference actually takes away from the effect of mixing them in the first place!!!! Just water will rust the engine from the inside out, and just anti freeze will corode the inside too! Hope this helps! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

8. 86DIESEL

86DIESEL Registered Member

With all that has been said about thermostats and cooling on this post, what is the hottest temperature a 6.2 can safely run?

9. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

WHat do you mean by safe????? I've had mine pegged out on the thermo and it still ran fine, I stopped, the water boiled, and the rad cap blew!!!! Never blew a hose yet though!!! Soon after I did the mod I mentioned before! Are you talking for everyday running temps or incase you have radiator problems? Normal running temps is around 180 in the winter and 200 in the summer for me! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. 84CUCV

Thanks for the help guys. Mike

11. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Normal HMMWV temperature range is 190F to 230F /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif, the cooling fan doesn't even kick on 'til 220F (then back off at 190F). I'm not sure why they spec them so high, but they do /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

12. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Me niether, but I think it also has something to do with the high flow electric fan and 4 core radiator!? I think?!

13. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well the trick with diesel is to have it hot, but not too hot, it make a huge difference if you can get the diesel running at the optimum temp, unlike a gas engine where it wouldn't make a difference.
    The trick is to keep it there though, that's why the big radiator, and electric fan instead of mechanical.

14. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I know a diesel can be more efficient at higher temps, but it does leave the operator much leeway between normal and cooked. They gauge only goes to 240F.

The HMMWV cooling fan is electrically controlled, hydraulically accuated (power steering pump), mechanically driven.