Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cooling parts question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by danny7139, Dec 25, 2005.

1. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

Building a stocker engine here for a DD blazer. I'm getting the cooling system all together, I have the rad still in good condition and cleaned up. But I'm looking for the thermostat and waterpump now, going to advance auto and theres so many thermostats, not sure which one would be best. I've always used 180 degree cheapo ones. Which manufacturer do you recommend? Stant thermostat, Mr Gasket, or Prestone? 195, 180, or 160 degree? Also what does the ecomony thermostat offer over the standard or extended life? And last but not least what water pump manufacturer is better Cardone or ASC? Thanks alot, sorry for the noob questions.:crazy: and oh yea merry christmas:D

2. jeeptuff

jeeptuff 1/2 ton status

180* fail safe type.

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Stant thermo blow, every other one is bad. For the last 3 years I've been using dealer thermostats without problem. $5 as opssed to $1, but at least they work out of the box, which is better than I can say for stant for prestone. I used to get stant or the premium stant, put it in, and either it would be bad straight away, or it would go bad within weeks. Gauge would run up to the line, then it would open, and stick open. Prestone ones were the same way, rarely did I get a good one.
    A1 Cardone stuff is total junk. Stay away. They rebuild all thier stuff in giant places where speed and minimalizism is the rule. They replace only what is broken in a starter/alternator/pump/motor, and nothing else.
    I'd get a new pump if you can find them, not rebuilt. After so many rebuilds, those pumps just can't hold the bearings tight and the gasket surfaces get chewed up. Causing fast failures and leaks. Not to say you can't get a good rebuilt pump, but probably chances are it's already been rebuilt 3 or 4 times. already.