Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cooling question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Sep 27, 2001.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Need some backup here. I was talking to a friend of mine last night and he was saying how he ran 100% antifreeze in his cars with no water. I know this is wrong and he is the only person I've known who has done this, but I didn't have much ammunition to back up my claim that I was right. Help me out. I run 50/50 mix in the winter and usually 70water/30antifreeze in the summer. Does it just not cool as efficiently when its so concentrated? TIA

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

antifreeze FREEZES by it self It needs water to chemicaly react to get the freezing point down to -84

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I've read something that some of the new synthetic antifreeze are to be ran by them self ( no added water)......

C'moe

Kill Roy was here!

4. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

might be a half water in the jug!

5. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

That synthetic stuff sounds cool, but he was just talking about regular old Prestone.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

For ammo, just grab a bottle of antifreeze - it says right on there the proper mixture.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Check out one of the newer (Peterson?) Four wheel mags. They did a test, straight water cooled better than an antifreeze mix. Antifreeze helps fight corrosion and freezing, thats it. The less you can run of antifreeze, the cooler it will run. Water wetter, some anti corrosion additive (if necessary with water wetter) and plain water (or distilled if you are anal, no offense : ) will cool better than antifreeze.

Pressure in the radiator is what increases the boiling point, not the antifreeze. Boiling point raises some 40 degrees with 16 PSI, about 4 degrees with antifreeze.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

8. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Good call. I just looked at the back of my Prestone jug and it talks about the 50/50 and 70/30 antifreeze/water mixes. Absolutly nothing about 100%.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad