Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cooling questions and a low freq. vibration

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 4x4dreamer, Sep 25, 2002.

1. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Okay, I have a few questions. This past weekend, I drove my Jimmy further than it's ever been in the time that I've owned it...which isn't all that far, just the other car broke down. I noticed that it started smelling hot. The temp guage never hit 200, but I know they aren't very accurate. I let it cool off, I pull the radiator cap off, and topped it off (it wasn't very low) then I started it up. I also filled the overflow about halfway. I let it run about 10 minutes but the level never went down. It did start to come out the top of the radiator however. Does this mean my thermostat isn't opening? I plan to replace it this weekend with a Robertshaw 180 Degree(per the dieselpage) if I can find one (PM me if you know where to get one). I also think my overflow is leaking as it's not half full anymore...and it was dripping under the truck.
    I also noticed that whenever I had a passenger, my truck had a very loud low frequency vibration...WTF is that about? I don't know if it coincided with the hot smell, because after I soaked down the radiator, it stopped, but the passenger got out of the truck about the same time...so I'm confused.
    Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks as always.

While I'm at it...I would like to discuss some cooling options for the 6.2. I know there have been experiements in this group as well as the Diesel page about different types of fans and radiators...what would be best for my daily driver/soon to be wheeler? I want to have this thing last forever. I plan to install a Tranny/power steering cooler in the future, but right now I want to plot out my engine buildup. Anybody who wants to brainstorm with me, let me know, I could talk about this stuff all day.

2. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

well i guess i gotta ask what did ur passenger look like :- )

3. 4x4dreamer

it's happened with more than one passenger...my Kid, my wife, the nanny.

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

The stock cooling system on a 6.2 is pretty good IF everything is up to snuff. Mine wasn't /forums/images/icons/frown.gif I had some serious corrosion/solder bloom in my radiator. I should have took pictures when I took it to the local radiator shop. It was ugly!
    A Robert-Shaw t-stat is supposed to be pretty good. I also replaced my water-pump, still stock but I hear Pennuslar Diesel has a high flow model ($?$).

(One of) My next projects is the fan & clutch. I really would like a fan-clutch I could over ride for deep water crossings. I've seen a fan eat a radiator after a little dip. I know the DodgeCummins boys have an electrical clutch available. And the HMMWV/Hummer uses power-steering pressure actuated clutch. I just don't think I need turbo-prop fan that the HMMWV has (it will actually slow the vehicle speed when it engages /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

5. 4x4dreamer

I was thinking of running a 4 core alum. radiator with Dual electric fans...one turned on by the thermostat, the other by me if needed (unless there's a way to have it come on at a higher temp than the fist one. Then have an override switch on both to turn them off should I be crossing deep water. I'm very curious about good setups for the Diesel. I'll probably be putting in my Robertshaw (if I can find one) this weekend.

6. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

well the wife and kid i could understand mabe :-) lol but the nanny to now thats spookie dude i think u should submit it to the xfiles :-)