Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cooling system question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigtruck87, Sep 24, 2003.

1. bigtruck87

bigtruck87 Registered Member

ok well i was driving to work today and i noticed my temp gauge go way up. and this like never happens so once i got to work i checked the coolant and it was like a gallon low. i filled it and it has been running at normal temperature. well i never see a puddle in the driveway so i had a bad feeling my problem was a head gasket but when i finally got around to pressure testing it i found coolant comming out from a small crack between the resivor and the radator fins. now that i made a short story long.

i was wondering does it make sense that the coolant could be leaking so slow and only under pressure that it is evaporating before it puddles in the driveway? because when i pressure tested it the coolant didnt seap out but it bubbled out like when you put soap on a hole in a tire just little bubbles.

and if i have to replace the radator is an aluminum one really that much better?

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

#1. It bubbles when you pressure test because the fluid in the system isn't where the bubbling occurs. It's still a leak though... I'd slap a new clamp on that spot, fill the system and test again.

#2. Aluminum radiators are cool (no pun intended, really I swear! /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif), BUT for our application a 4-core radiator is much cheaper, and does the job. Unless you have a crazy built motor, alum. isn't going to serve you well for the money you'll spend on it.

Keep that coolant system full, and see how it treats you. That "gallon" that was low probably allowed a bubble to get in the area where your temp sender is, and that totally throws things off.

Hope this helps!

-Dan

3. detailer03

detailer03 1/2 ton status

I had to replace mine twice. My 89 has 225,000 on it.
    Both times, my tank was leaking at the seam.
    Check out Fingers radiator on 33, I think in Robbinsville and on route one in New Brunswick.
    I used to work at a shop that bought from them. They can make on for you too.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Autozone has three cores for $150. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Couldn't resist...I was so happy to get a new radiator in mine!

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    ##2. BUT for our application a 4-core radiator is much cheaper, and does the job. Unless you have a crazy built motor, alum. isn't going to serve you well for the money you'll spend on it.

[/ QUOTE ] Actually the biggest aluminum radiator at summit is less than 200 bucks! I have never seen a 4 core cheaper than that. The only draw back is that if an automatic is in the truck you will need a good stacked plate tranny cooler which is better anyway than the water cooler.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    ##2. BUT for our application a 4-core radiator is much cheaper, and does the job. Unless you have a crazy built motor, alum. isn't going to serve you well for the money you'll spend on it.

[/ QUOTE ] Actually the biggest aluminum radiator at summit is less than 200 bucks! I have never seen a 4 core cheaper than that. The only draw back is that if an automatic is in the truck you will need a good stacked plate tranny cooler which is better anyway than the water cooler.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohhhhhhh Really? Let me hear you back that up.

Fluid heat exchangers at many times as effective as a Air to fluid cooler. Also transmissions do need some heat. The cooler in the radiator gets the transmission up to operating temp faster. Transmissions need to run about 160 degrees. ALso by getting them up to those temps it causes the condinsation that forms EVERY time you shut it down and it cools to become vapor and be vented. That extensd fluid life and transmission life.

7. rjfguitar

I would rather have a big stacked plate cooler becasue I would prefer my tranny to run to cool than too hot. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifI use both coolers with mine. And his question is about the radiator, alum. cool much better and a griffen from summit is 189.95 and the summit brand alum is 15 bucks cheaper /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Find a 4 core cheaper than that!

8. KRAZIE87K5

$189.95, and it fits our application? Thats too good to be true. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

-Dan

9. rjfguitar

well it is universal but just about the same size as a 3core and will basically bolt in. The only down side is you have to use a stacked plate cooler because there is no tranny cooler inside the radiator but like I said that is better(IMHO) than the radiator cooler anyway.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I think it's stupid to bypass a radiator tranny cooler. I'd use both. The fluid to fluid cooler works much better than an air to fluid cooler.

11. KRAZIE87K5

[ QUOTE ]
    I think it's stupid to bypass a radiator tranny cooler. I'd use both. The fluid to fluid cooler works much better than an air to fluid cooler.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow... I agree with Tim! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Cutting out the rad trans cooler is a BAD idea at best. If you go alum, be SURE to get something that has provision for the tranny cooler in it!

-Dan

12. bigtruck87

thanks all lots of replys. i guess i just have to reasearch a little bit and see what i can get at what price. i always go with the overkill method cause it is better to be bigger then too small but often overkill is expensive. but i'm only 19 and live at home so i can afford to spend a little extra money on the truck.

13. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I personally do use both but I have been told that the big air coolers work better than water coolers.

14. bigtruck87

where did everyone get theres and what did it cost?

i see LMC has a 4 core for only 200 bucks. how is there quality? are the parts they have made in american cause i have issues about buying foreign crap. if you live in this counrty then you should support it. that includes foreign cars i.e. toyota, honda, hyundia, mistufuck or however its spelled. and the worst are the people who drive those cars and had big american flags on them after 9\11. they are the same hypocrites who with be driving the afgan cruiser in 15 years. rember dec 7, 1941. ok sorry for the rant but i cant help it thats what i beleave.

ok so anyway what kind of radiator? where from? and how much?

15. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

The Big Air coolers will cool more than the stock radiator cooler. That is be cause the stock radiator cooler is tiny. If you had the same sizes of each the water cooler would kick the air coolers but.

Tim

16. rjfguitar

17. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

I got a huge 4-row from autozone for $159. I think the application was a 77 k5 with sb400/th350 and A/C.

18. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I got my radiator from www.radiator.com
    I think it was around $160 with shipping. It was just an OEM style radiator, so if Advance has it for less I'd go with that.
    I personally like using the radiator tranny cooler inconjution w/ an air cooler as well.

19. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    i was wondering does it make sense that the coolant could be leaking so slow and only under pressure that it is evaporating before it puddles in the driveway?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not...I believe antifreeze/coolant evaporates slower than plain water.

In any case, what may be happening is that you stop the truck, and check, and no drips. But as the vehicle sits after being turned off, system pressure increases (as the temperature climbs from no coolant flow/cooling) and probably forces coolant out after the truck has been sitting for a bit.

Anyways, I've seen that happen on a car before. The leak only occurred after the vehicle was shut down and sat for a few seconds...longer than normally takes to get out of the car and walk away, so it was never noticed. Just a little bit of coolant each time added up to a lot missing over a few days.

20. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I got a huge 4-row from autozone for $159. I think the application was a 77 k5 with sb400/th350 and A/C.

[/ QUOTE ]

here's the part number...

433730 $159.99 Autozone