Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cooling system?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by s373n_rcr, Oct 21, 2003.

1. s373n_rcr

s373n_rcr Registered Member

My rad has had a habit of p!ssing coolant out during certain times. Only in certain weather and only after moderate driving distances. 2 hour drive to the next city is no problem...no leaks. 5 min drive to work...no leaks. 15 min drive for coffee or beer and some food and bang, it's spewing from three different spots. Anyhow, I've called some local parts stores and heard everything from, "the rad for the standard tranny truck (mine has SM465) is discontinued but we have the automatic one." to "did you need 16 7/8" or 18 3/4"?" or something like that. One place said they could order one for $234.00cdn but would want around $400.00 installed. I went out and looked at my rad to consider whether to do it myself or not as I have never replaced a rad, and it looks quite simple. Is this true? Any tips or things to watch out for? Figured aside from unclamping the hoses and unbolting the supports it should lift straight out. Someone please tell me it's a simple job that can be done on a cold saturday afternoon, because I still have a broken spring to replace, an oil spray to get done and some shackles/tow hooks to install along with new bumper mounts up front.

Cheers,
    s373n /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

this job can be done in under 30 mins. The only difference between a rad for an automiatic and manual is the auto has the cooant passage for the tranny. You can use a rad for an automatic with a manual tranny no prob.

The measurements they are asking for is the height of the rad. Look at your top radiator hold down. If it comes straight out from the core support it is the 18 3/4", if the mount drops down a bit then contacts the rad it is the 16" one. You should also measure the length and make sure you get the 29" long one. Over $100 for installation is rediculous I don't care what country you live in, tell them to stick the installation fee up their ass and do it yourself.

As for tips drain the rad and dispose of the old coolant properly unless it is fairly new (under a month or 2). If it is older it would pay to replace it with new coolant mixed properly for your climate. To reduce rust and corrosion use distilled water rather than tap water when mixing the new coolant.

Do not just dump old coolant. Animals are attracted to it and will drink from any puddles which is lethal.

3. s373n_rcr

s373n_rcr Registered Member

Awesome...thanks for the advice man. What about the broken spring. The Freightliner truck garage in the city said $90.00cdn for new spring installed and probably 3 times that to remove,test and replace the rest of the rear end springs. This seems like something left to the professionals yes?

Also, on this site it states that my model year of truck weighs in 4800lbs. On the tag inside my door it says 6100lbs GVWR or 2770kgs? Is this the towing capacity or actual vehicle weight?

89' stock ex-federal government fleet GMC Jimmy with no options but P.S.,P.B.,Hyd.assist clutch, 350TBI, SM465, 33x12.50's on rallys.

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Eh, me personally with the spring if it is 1 leaf I would hit the salvage yard. Around here I can pick up a leaf for $10. I also have the equipment to install it. But enev without the equipment you could possibly get a whole spring pack at a salvage yard for $40 and just replace the whole thing. It's really a personal decision on what you think you are capable of with your current skills and equipment.

The weight the site gives is more or less your loaded weight. Drive to a scale and it will weight near the 4,800lbs. The GVWR is the max the vehicle is rated to weigh with cargo including passengers. Load the vehicle and pull on a scale. If it says you weigh over the 6,100lbs GVWR you are exceeding the design limits of the frame, suspension, tranny, etc... in addition I know in the states you can be fined for being over the vehicles GVWR. Every truck driver worth his salt knows almost to the lb what his loaded weight is to avoid a fine.

There should be another listing somewhere on towing capacity but I believe on most SUV's it is listed at max 6klbs towing weight but I could be wrong.