Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cooling upgrades 88 blazer will a 4 core rad fit?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by edreid, Jul 24, 2006.

1. edreid

edreid Registered Member

currently has a three core that is at the end of its useful life. So I was wondering if i can find a good 4 in a junkyard or a reasonable price used will it fit? maybye i have to trim the fan shroud or is it worse.

and is electric fans the best solution for slow moving off roading or should i stick with the mechanical fan?

thanks
    ed

2. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

A mechanical fan will usually pull a whole lot more air than an electric.... just make sure you have a good shroud.

3. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

To put a 4 core in your blazer you will need the upper bracket, its one long metal piece that bolts on top of the radiator instead of two pieces. I got mine from the GM dealership, but you can certainly get it from the junkyard. From what I remember you can still use the same rubber feet the go under the bracket.

Also, if you decide to leave the stock fan I would highly reccommend a shroud. The new 4 core bracket also has a different shroud than the stock radiator. Which obviously you can also obtain from the yard.

As far as electric or mechanical fan I cant help too much as I still have the stock fan. But I have been considering a few electric fans, either the windstar fans or I have been eyeballing some of the new flexalite electrics. I was looking at their catalog and they list a few different fans for new diesels that pull about 6200 cfm!

4. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

ok I was looking through some old pictures and heres a pic of the 4 core bracket. This is on my K30 and everything is stock, except for the beer.:wink1: But in the pic you can see the shoud, and the how the bracket is different, but it will bolt up with no problems. :D

[​IMG]

5. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

dude, that's not how u keep your beer cold!

6. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

7. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

It was glamis and we had the beer bong but would you believe beer could be too cold?

8. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

lol, beer could never be to cold.

edreid, sorry for the hijack!

9. K5Glazier

K5Glazier 1/2 ton status

lol,You're one beer short of a twelve pack!

10. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

As far as electric Vs. mechanical fans go I just removed my Flex-a-lite twin e-fans and reinstalled my flex fan and shroud. The e-fans just wouldn't cool during slow driving and I wasn't happy with them. It was a costly experiment but I'm glad that I changed back to the flex fan. A recent trip through the Mohave desert with temp well past 120* the truck NEVER went above 195* and that was with the AC on.

Just my 2 cents

11. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I kinda agree with you, although I have had no personal experience with electric fans I would rather stay with a good fan and shroud. I really like what was done here.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175891&highlight=duramax+fan

I wonder if a ford, or dodge diesel might have a fan bolt pattern closer to a chevy water pump. :thinking:

That mohave heat is rediculous sometimes, that kind of heat can kill a truck fast.:eek1: Sometimes Ill ride out there, not during this time of year though. I dont even hit some of the hotter parts of the desert either.

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

A lot of work to upgrade to a 4 core if you are still cooling with a worn out (by your statement) 3 core.

Never waste your money on a used radiator, unless they are flow tested you have no idea how good the internals are, you can't clean them out yourself, and theres no telling when a seam or joint will spring a leak.

Spend the money on a new 3 core and call it good.

13. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I would never put a junkyard radiator in my rig, but I would get the brackets and shroud from there. I got my radiator from kragen for like 180 dollars. That was with a lifetime warranty too. :wink1:

14. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, nothing wrong with used hard parts, but a radiator you just can't trust. Plenty of used "good looking" (inside and out) radiators I've tested don't flow anywhere near what a new one would.