Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cooling upgrades?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by KGsK5, Dec 24, 2006.

1. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

hey guys, ive done a bit of searching on this topic but havent really found exactly what i need to answer my questions.

i want to upgrade the cooling on my K5... thinking dual electric fans and possibly a new rad.

after some searching i found that some people like the electric fans and others dont. what are some pros and cons?

if i do go electric whats the simplest way to go? windstar? i dont really want to spend a whole lot here if i dont have to. could probable get one from a yard for next to nothing.

im thinking that i would wire it up with a switch and not have it come on automatically. is there anythign wrong with this, besides forgetting to turn it on?

also, any recomendations on a new radiator? is it necessary? im not sure of the condition of mine. what are you guys running?

thanks and merry christmas

2. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Yes, Merry Christmas. Reply with some specs on your rig, and how its running, and you'll get some good and accurate input.:xmas:

3. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

also..

I live in az, and mine wont go over 180 no matter what, I have a crazy factory fan that pulls some serious air,

are you having cooling problems?

4. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

like the sig says... its a 6.2 L diesel. im not sure how accurate my temp guage is but it shows a reading of 190-200* most of the time.

i wouldnt mind getting this down a little bit or just being able to ensure that it doesnt go any higher. maybe a new t stat is in order too.

the added hp of going to electric wouldnt hurt much either from what i have read.

5. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

Your temps are fine. If you really want it cooler, start by changing to a lower temp stat. Seriously though, that is a good operating temp range for any engine, diesel or gas. Keep it under 210-220 and you're fine. I think a lot of folks go a bit overboard trying to get their engines to run too cool. They need to be good and warm (180-210) to run most efficiently.

6. KGsK5

KGsK5 1/2 ton status

what about the hp gains by removing the belt driven fan? is it enough to make it worth it?