Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cooling whoas....

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by SubYuman, Oct 25, 2005.

1. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

I need a new radiator for my 93 498. The original one was replaced 6 years ago....Is there a better than stock oneout there? I am buying a flexalite 280 kit for better flow and a little power/mileage gain. Anyone know where a decent heavy duty one can be had? WIll a 6.5 Turbodiesel radiator fit? I have the 17x34 size, is there a larger stock replacement. Mine has oil and trans coolers built in.
    Also, is there a bigger/better heater core? I am currently bypassing mine as it began to leak soon after I got back to California...
    I have been using distilled water/extened coolant and two bottles of water wetter with ZERO cooling trouble, even when I was a gallon short in the radiator and pulling nearly a ton in and on the Burb...
    I have to host and post a pick of the day I left my folks place when we first got back....

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

im not formiliar with any aftermarket radiators for newer trucks like that, but i can tell you the best cooling product i ever bought was a little aluminum spacer that replaces the fan clutch, so the fan runs constantly, no matter the temp or rpms... it takes a while to warm up in the winter but winter here in vegas is like 40*. i dont even know where to find one now its been like 7-8yrs since it was put on my sub by my dad.

3. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

THey're still out there...

I originally had the spacer, got the fan as close as I could to the radiator, got one too long then machined it down a few .01" at a time til it was JUST right. Then after a nasty fording accident, I found that while better than a slush clutch, you could still ruin a new radiator going too fast in the water.
    I had a lot of good luck with my old electric fans, using the bypass switch when I forded the Colorado River in Yuma....
    Purely a gas saver this time, although the 280 fans are some of the best....
    Saves wear on my ALuminum pump, saves some fuel (lets not fight about it, it helped in my 417 SB Burb) and frees up a few ponies.... and since I have a 200 Amp alt, I am not worried about juice.

4. SubYuman

SubYuman 1/2 ton status

Heat material...which is best?

Is ALuminum only or copper/brass a better material for the heater core? I found a 4 core radiator for $380 shipped, is that a decent price?

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

hmmm i think the rad in my sub was only about 260, its a 4 core. but we got it through a parts house here in town on the company account so i think it was discounted... and from what ive heard alum is better...

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

summit has this plastic fan for like 14 dollers, the blades are all very steap like close to 90*, and the thing cool like a mother!

friend used to run it in one of his drag cars, and said it worked great~!