Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cooling with a body lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueOx, Aug 12, 2000.

1. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

i have a 3" body lift on my K5 and now that I moved back to Houston I cant keep the thing cool. The heat here is bad. I had to cut off the lover half of the fan shroud so the fan would clear. I was going to lower the radiator 3 inches but then part of the rad. would be below the bumper. What are some things that ya'll have seen or do to fix this problem. Any info would be great.
    Thanks

2. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

This has been discussed on here numerous times and the best solution seems to be to seperate the two halves of the shroud and fill it back in with 3" worth of material thus lengthening the shroud by 3". This way you can maintain your location of your radiator and cool it the same way it was before the body lift. I hope this helps.

L8r,

.Riz.

3. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Hi.
    I dont think anyone have really tried anything, neither have I so this is just ideas.

I thought about keeping the bottom part of the shroud to but couldnt figure out how to do it when I was looking at it. One way could be to take a pop-gun and stapel some extension plastic to join the two halfes, to get the shroud under the fan. And then close upp the 3" thats sticking out under the fender. Or else your engine will be sprayed with water when your driving in the rain.

You could also try rinsing your radiator and entire system to see if you can get away with it the way it is.

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

4. k5beast

k5beast Registered Member

Go to your local race shop or junk yard and get an electric fan, wire it to the ignition so that when ever the truck is running it is on. If you want to spend a lot of $$$$ you can get a dual unit. They can also be ordered to exact fit with shroud and all. Got a dual unit on a 68 Z28 drag car with a 454, keeps it cool even at idle.

The Beast, feed me a Jeep!
    79 K5 project

5. K5experience

K5experience Registered Member

I put the dual electric fans and droped the engine fan and that solved my problem and I live in FL were it is super hot and humid

6. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

where did you guys get the fans from?

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com