Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cop Cars

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Stickseler, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

And the History of them..On the History Channel now :laugh:

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Thank you. Recording now. Gotta love Tivo.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Speaking of cop cars, how about some opinions from our brothers in law enforcement on buying former cop cars. How badly do you guys beat them ??

4. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Surely youve read Bubba's posts :haha: :haha: :haha:

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

6. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

I'll tell ya how bad our cars our..... we dont have a "mechanic" sheriffs son works on'em, but he's more of a shade tree mechanic. We've got cars that are 5 years old and have never been serviced, no oil change no tune up... nothin.

Some of the old guys treat'em like they are thier own vehicles..... me? I drive it like a rental car. Aint nothin like a backwards J-turn once an awhile on 3rd shift to keep you awake. :D

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

:haha: :haha: :haha:

We beat 'em baaaaaaaaaaaddddddd.......................................... :eek1:

Seriously, cop cars get abused, that's the nature of the beast. Some people take better care of them than others. I try to take it easy on mine, but sometimes catching air and sliding out in parking lots just happen. :D

It all depends on the department and the car and it's caretaker. We service ours on a regular basis and that's tranny, oil, tires, brakes, everything. My old one that got auctioned off last year had around 140K miles, new tranny and it screamed like it was almost brand new. I got all the little BS stuff taken care of it. I would find out how good the department selling it kept up on the service before I would even consider it. You've got to remember that we use mostly Fords these days and their transmissions are crap. With highway patrol cars, you've got mostly highway miles, but some of the stories that I hear about their antics; I would stay away. County guys, well if it's one of my old cars, you can rest assured that it has seen plenty of dirt time; but if it's a larger agency, it may not have seen that much dirt. City guys, well most of them never get to really blow out the carbon, plus I seriously doubt that there's one that hasn't bashed into something.

In short, it's a real hit and miss thing.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Reason I brought it up is because a guy on another board bought a Crown Vic former police car and is saying it's in mint condition. I tried too tell him that car may have been beat pretty hard when it was in service, but he won't believe a word of it. Oh well, hope he got a good one.

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I bought one. 2000 Impala 9c1, but it was a supervisor's car. Had a complete service history at the auction (at least it looks complete) and I have never had a problem with it. Bought it with 50,000, drove it 25,000 with out a blip. I recently bought an Expolder from the local Police Dept - detective's ride. Also in great condition.

Some of it depends on what the car was used for and where.