Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

copmuter q's

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dheavychevy38, Jan 23, 2005.

1. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i have a question for some of the comp techs? Some times when i turn on my computer i get a virtual low memory low any ideas what this means or what i can do about it? Thanks

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

means 1 of 2 things. Either you have too little virtual memory allocated or you have way too many programs running at once. Could be a sign of viruses or spyware if you don't think you have too many programs running. Hit CTRL-ALT-DEL and see how many things are running. If you have XP see how many of them are system things and how many are under your computer or username.

If you run XP do this:

Right click on the My Computer icon. Choose Advanced, then Performance Settings. Should bring up a new dialog box named Performance Options. Choose Advanced, at the bottom you will see your Virtual Memory allocation. let me know how many MBs you have in there and how many MBs of memory your computer has(won't find that information on the same page as the Virtual Memory.

3. dheavychevy38

says 724mb

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

must be a lot of stuff going on to be filling that up. Does it only happen when your computer turns on?

5. dheavychevy38

if i leave it on for a while like if i leave it on and let it idle over night or a week i will get that message

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

if its idling nothing should be opening so unless there are programs running in the background doing stuff it won't happen. Download Adaware or Spybot Search and Destroy and run them. Then go http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ there and virus scan your computer.

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I did this just to see. Mine had 768, but listed a max over 1500. Any reason not to just set it at the max?

8. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

How many MB of ram do you have??? It should be on the general tab or the computer properties. If your running winxp, for it to run right I'd recomend 512MB

9. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Sounds like one of your programs has a memory leak. Do the Ctrl-Alt-Del thing and go to the task manager and click on the process tab. Make note of the amount of memory each process is using and then let the system sit idle overnight. In the morning check the memory usage again to see which one has gone up dramatically. If you find one then check for an updated version of that software. If you can't find an updated versino then you may need to send off an email to the company who wrote the program and let them know about the memory leak.