Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cops in general

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by google, Jun 14, 2005.

1. google

google 1/2 ton status

This is an addition to my previous thread. I want to make something perfectly clear. I don't have a problem with cops. I know they do a hard job in a harder world and I respect them fully. Enough that I don't want their job anymore. It was once my goal to be a career officer. After several years in the military as a cop, I changed my mind. I did do normal police work in the military. Because of my location, I ran in to drugs, gangs, prostitutes etc... I once even busted a guy with a whole meth lab in the back of his Bronco. I pulled him over just cause it was a ford..... j/k... Point being, when it comes to me getting pulled over, i obviously did stuff a little bit beyond what the law alowed. I never said I didn't. What I did say is that on three occasions, I was profiled and pulled over for the purpose of "checking me out" to make sure I wasn't doing anything "worth while". I can't count how many times i've pulled people over for being suspicious or crossing the line or whatever I could think of. But now, for the first time, i'm on the recieving end. The only difference is that I didn't care what they were driving. I didn't profile people and pull them over. I just pulled everyone over I could.... I love cops. I just don't like being profiled.

ONE LAST THING. I STILL THINK THE POPULATION OF ARIZONA INCLUDING MYSELF ARE A BUNCH OF HILLBILLIES. IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THAT, I DON'T CARE.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2005
  2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'll be keeping a close eye on this one. One sniff of trouble and it's gone.

3. google

google 1/2 ton status

BECAUSE THE CANCAN CAN!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Sorry, I had to.

4. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

:waytogo: :bow:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  5. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Far off in the distance I hear an approaching band. And the music played on.

6. ktedesco

ktedesco 1/2 ton status

Without "profiling" we would never have enough time to harass all the innocent people.

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Just for the record, cops are wussies............................

Deputy sheriffs rule :D

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I'm all for profiling, mostly because I'm exempt.

:xmas:

9. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

10. ktedesco

ktedesco 1/2 ton status

Damn straight!! :D

11. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

THATS IT.... bubba...

can you say "WUSSIES" here...Im shocked

moderators.... fry him.....

LASD.. service motto " A tradition of service"
    ...... we even apologize to you after we shoot at you 120 times and only hit you 4 times.... and oh yea...one dead car

Thats bad shooting

12. oldassjeep

oldassjeep Registered Member

Yeah, I agree. Deputy Sherriffs rule. They rule 'cause they feed and house the prisioners that the real police catch while thier doin county time!

Just kiddin. Each has thier role.

13. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

let me just say theres good and bad in everything, cops, black people, mexicans, aisans, white people too,..... i dont mind the good ones,.....but i sure HATE the bad ones.

14. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Maybe you should clarify what you mean by profiling. There is a lot of misunderstanding on the subject. Let me give you two scenarios:

#1 - A cop is driving in an area known for drug dealing. It is zero dark thirty in the morning and few people on the block. The officer sees the car pull over and two guys dressed in classic crack dealer attire approach the open driver window. Moments later the car pulls away. The officer pulls in behind the car and after following for a block notices that the guys license tags are expired. The officer makes a car stop and when he talks to the driver, finds the guy is under the influence of a stimulant. The officer pops the guy for the influence and then finds the crack in his pocket after search pursuant to arrest. Legal detention, legal arrest, legal search.

#2 - Same exact scenario except that the guys plates aren't expired. In fact, after following the guy for many blocks, the officer spots no illegal driving or equipment infractions at all. The officer decides to make a car stop anyway because the person "fits the profile" or is acting just like a drug customer in the officers estimation

The first scenario isn't even close to profiling, it is just good police work. The second scenario is technically "profiling" and has been ruled in across the country as being a civil rights violation. The "profiling" controversey started in New Jersey as troopers were attempting to do drug interdiction on the highways. However, the vast majority of people I hear and see complaining about "profiling" are people who more closely fit scenario #1. Or, maybe they aren't even in a drug area, are driving in daylight, and are in a nice neighborhood. But, they commit a vehicle code violation and the officer pulls them over. Suddenly it is "profiling" because the driver is black/hispanic/fat/gay/tall/short/thin/a liberal/ADD/bald/buddhist/etc. etc. etc., just pick your "minority"? The funny thing is, 90% of the time the officer can't even tell who the driver is prior to the stop.

The simple fact is, if the officer has a legal reason to make a car stop, the motivation for the stop is completely irrelevant according the the courts. There was a brief time when some liberal courts tried to rule out "pretext stop" by interrogating officers on the stand about their actual reason for a stop, despite the fact that there was legal grounds for a detention. Cooler heads prevailed and this is no longer an issue. So, no matter what suspicions the officer might have as to the character or criminality of the person being stopped, there must be a legal reason to detain first. This then is not profiling.

15. google

google 1/2 ton status

This is good text book coverage. Here is my problem. As said in my previous thread that got out of hand and shut down. I never said that I was a perfect driver and that I was being pulled over for nothing. What I am saying is that I'm being pulled over for infractions that I normaly wouldn't be pulled over for. Going 10mph over the speed limit is a good reason to get pulled over. Going 4mph over the speed limit and being pulled over, even though it's a reason (leagaly) is still profiling. Maby not the text book answer, but still the same thing. It is well known that cases where someone is speeding less than 10mph over the speed limit are (USUALY) thrown out because of all the variables involved in detecting speed. Angle, calibration, officer knowledge etc.... They know they aren't going to give me a ticket for what they pulled me over. They pull me over anyway to check me out. And as for the "area" i'm in.... I was pulled over on the highway between tucson and phoenix and on the main road going through casa grande.

The one time that I do understand being pulled over is when I was going to work at midnight and driving through an area heavily populated with bars and what not. The officer pulled me over, came to my door, saw that I was in my uniform, asked me if I was going to or comming from work, TOLD ME he was just looking for drunks, and left. Didn't even ask for ID.

That, I really didn't mind.... but that was the first time I was stopped. Guess it's just starting to get to me now.

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Without fully reading this thread I still have too put my two cents in. I have found most cops are pretty cool people. Yes there are some on a power trip, but that happens in any job, it is worse with a cop only do too the fact they can haul your ass to jail., or write you a ticket. Usely if you treat the cops with respect, they'll treat you with respect. Next time you think a cop is being sh_tty, just think of all the crap he/she has had too deal with that day. I delt with some jerks, but I was doing shaddy stuff at the time, so maybe they did what needed too be done. I agree that I don't like the profiling stuff, but nothing is going too change that, heck, most people don't even think asbout it, so why should a cop be any different ??

17. google

google 1/2 ton status

Just a little note on this. It is very true MOST of the time. If I pulled someone over and they were a prick, I would ticket them for whatever i could and I would take my sweet time doing it. It wouldn't be uncommon for me to write the ticket, play on my game boy, and call my girl friend before returning to their car and handing them their ticket. When people were very nice to me, I would only write them up for "more important" offences or none at all. And no, the cute girl flirty thing doesn't work, though I will look down your shirt when you aren't looking and your ass when you lean over to get your registration. If you try and flirt your way out, even if your nice, i'll ticket you for everything and the attempt if it's obvious.

18. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Me too! I NEVER "match the description"... :D

19. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

While it may sound like a textbook answer, in court, the textbook is the Constitution of the U.S. and the state constitution where you reside that is the final arbiter of whether or not an officer should or shouldn't pull you over. What you are arguing is philosphy. You admit above that you are violating the law. You just have a philosophical issue with somebody holding you to a very strict letter of the law. However, you also admit that officers appear to be using the strict letter of the law to "check you out". Have you ever wondered what the motivation for "checking you out" is? Perhaps that motivation to chat with you is to make a good arrest of a good crook. If you haven't been arrested, then clearly their checking you out resulted in them deciding there were better fish to catch elsewhere and you aren't that good crook they are looking for.

I would think that most folks would support an officer using all legal tools at their disposal to try and make good arrests on good crooks, even if it occasionally briefly inconveniences a person who isn't comitting the crime of the century. Look at it this way, the officer has a legal reason to pull you over for 4 mph over the speed limit. They are also able to issue a citation for that 4 mph over the speed limit if they choose. While the fine may be on a sliding scale, the section you are cited for is the same regardless of whether you are 4 or 15 mph over the speed limit. If the officer pulls you over for 4 mph and within a reasonable amount of time lets you go, especially if you receive no citation, then I don't see that much harm has been done. Especially since you are after all violating the law, albeit in a minor fashion. And, as I wrote before, it is not "profiling" under any legal definition. Calling something profiling when it isn't is no different than a person calling somebody else a racist because they were simply rude. It is apples to oranges and frankly diminishes true profiling cases when they arise.

I hear what you are saying that it can be irritating to think an officer is nitpicking by enforcing a strict letter of the law, even though you think they shouldn't, but the truth is, that is how officers catch real criminals on a regular basis. You can't catch a fish unless you put your line in the water. I also wouldn't recommend delaying or prolonging a car stop on someone just because you think they are a prick. It lowers the officer down to the level of the person they stopped. They are going to take a hit from the ticket you write them. What goes around, comes around. If the person is an asshat, they will pay for it in spades. It isn't the officers job to decide to correct personality flaws. If the attitude translates into being uncooperative or obstructing, that is another story and the officer should introduce them to another enclosed location with cheese sandwiches and watered down bug juice asap.......

20. google

google 1/2 ton status

It's past occasionally now and that's my peeve, but I get you. AND, I laugh my butt off every time I read ASSHAT. Don't know why, but that's just funny to me. I'm going to call someone an asshat today. Don't know who yet, but i'll find someone!! Thanks for the replys.

AND ONCE AGAIN<<<< COPS RULE!!!! I just need a paint job I guess.