Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Coral Canyon run Video and pics

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BorregoK5, Sep 1, 2002.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

I found myself yelling things like "oh hell yeah" and "fawkin sweet..." at the computer monitor as the video was playing.

Thats one sick rig you have.

Waxer's K5 is real sweet as well...many props!

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Nice job on the video again Mike!!! So when is the appointment to have the upholstery removed from your ass? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Rene

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Steve's (Waxer's) truck is definately fun to watch. His cross-over setup shined cresting hills with the drivers side tire drooping out and him turning lock to lock on the wheel looking for traction. My draglink bit me in the butt quite a few times this trip and was a contributing factor to a near roll-over (rear over the front) while descending a steep boulder covered drop off. I stabbed the gas just as the front grill started to burry into the ground. This was good to pull the tailgate back down from blocking the sun but the resulting rear end impact started me bucking down the boulders. Unfortunately, we stopped filming on the previous corner as this descent didn't look that difficult... caught me off guard. It was especially stressfull wheeling over 100mi from home, no spare tire and at the end of the trip we were running solo till dusk.

Rene, your not kidding either! I spotted a skidmarked mens tighy whitey off to the side of one of the most challenging hills which were my sentiments exaclty. The local Jeep club was through there earlier with some rookies so I figured thats where it came from! LOL

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I spotted a skidmarked mens tighy whitey off to the side of one of the most challenging hills which were my sentiments exaclty.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's gross but very funny!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Rene

6. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

Awesome video. Awesome rig! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah gross, but it was a great tension breaker after scoping out the drop-offs. We laughed about it our whole way down! We'd talked about the TSL's last week... aired down to 10 psi they are unstoppable and made me a new believer in them even though they wear so fast. The TSL's are worth it... but I may abandon the 57" front spring project. Might be too flexy for descending, unless you want to back down everything.

Thanks COCHEV! The truck made my job easy out there, like a polaroid - point and shoot! My camera man had the real job, hoofed it in 90 degree heat and burried himself in bushes to get the shots.. there wasn't much room to film on these trails.

8. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

Great videos!

9. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Borrego:

You have the best offroad videos I've ever seen. You show exactly the kind of wheeling I like to see. Something that I might someday be able to do, unlike those "shocking" tv shows with imposible million dollar trucks that I know I'll never have.

What band was that background music? I especially liked the second song. Do you know it's name?

10. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

hey Mike i *think i recognize a couple of places in the the pics /forums/images/icons/grin.gif can u show mw your route ?

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Thanks K5Junkie, I love this stuff!

Blazer79, I hear you on the budget built rig. The way I look at it, if you can find ways to build it cheap and capable, share that info, then you can grow the sport to include more people. I just wish we had more areas like what this video shows local to San Diego and closer to home so I can play a little bit harder and push the envelope a bit. Guess its time to buy a tow rig and a flatbed...

The band was Hoobastank from their latest album. I was going to use StaticX-Push It, but figured it deserved some more aggressive footage than what we captured. Thanks for the good words, and look for the Blazer Safari video in mid October as the guys on that run have very capable rigs now and I have a feeling there will be some great action, that group usually does.

12. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I've been working on mapping the route since I had my GPS with me. Here's what I have. The opening video is of the fire tower north of four corners fromn the top of bronco peak. Some of the small sand hill shots like the near roll over was right next to coral campground in the play area. The blue is the SidewinderTrail which is listed as difficult but I'd say its medium. It runs from just south of Four Corners to the Bobcat Campground The yellow on the other hand is Bronco Peak trail which is more difficult on the west side from Coral Campground but relatively easy on the east side of the peak from Bobcat Campground . You'll recognise Four Corners which is the central point coming into the OHV. We took a spin north to the fire tower which was easy fire roads, as most of the area is.

I really wish you were there, you would have loved Bronco Peak. Once I get locked up in the front, I want to go up the west side, coming down was a rush too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

Mike i really wish i coulda been ther too but i ya know pwrsteering and all /forums/images/icons/frown.gif gonna send it off this week and order bodymounts and some other stuff ....dang truck is going to be down for a long while i think ....

14. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Heck, I'll have this thing tube framed by the time I see you next! Whatever you do, you better make Blazer Safari in early Oct cause you know its going to be good!

15. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

awesome video /forums/images/icons/smile.gif well worth the download /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

16. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I'd like to get a bunch of local Blazers back out there and go up the west side of Bronco Peak, now that would be some great video!

17. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Why don't you bring it up on the So Cal Big Dawg board? Are we local enough? I wish you were with us this weekend at Big Bear. We had a great time wheelin for 2 days. How far away is Bronco Peak? We're supposed to do a night run Saturday after the club meeting. You interested?

Don't forget to invite the Suburban /forums/images/icons/cool.gif too!

18. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'm always good to go when it comes to some of the southern Big Dawg runs. I'll be there for Blazer Safari this October, with my camera and my rig. Bronco peak is about half way to El Centro on the 8, east of San Diego. Corona is a good ways from me.

19. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

if i lived closer id go with ya /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

20. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Nice video...I ate dinner and cleaned my room while I waited. 56k not exactly quick. Oh well, I'm off to school in a couple weeks and then it'll be T1 /forums/images/icons/grin.gif .