Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cordless electric grease guns

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by Ruthven13, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Does anybody have or use one of these? I am an equipment operator and have to grease machines out in the field, and getting really tired of the manual type. Pneumatic is completely out of the question. I know the good ones are expensive, but as a quality tool I know it is worth the expense. Right now I am looking at either Lincoln or Alemite....

2. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

i have personal experience with the lincoln, its a good unit

just wondering, has the company you work for ever looked into the auto greasers?

3. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Something tells me that is not an option. On the Lincoln, does the position of the motor get in the way for you at all?

4. Confedneck79K30

i've never used one to grease heavy equipment, but it never got in my way on cars or trucks and they can be pretty tight sometimes..

5. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I use one of the Lincolns on my fire trucks. They work great and make the jobs go faster. The thing is a life saver when greasing the turntables on the ladders.

6. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Get the Lincoln kit with the extra battery, and then get the 12 volt charger; mount it in your truck, and you're set.
    It will force grease through zerks that a hand pump won't, and if you have clearance issues, add another length of hose.
    I got mine three years ago, and I rarely use a hand pump now.
    Jimbo

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  7. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

thats all my bud that works down at the docks uses is a cordless grease gun. he works on so many different pieces of equipment all around the dock area that a air style is too difficult and he might not allways have air. a manual is too much work for how often he uses one. his is a snap-on I believe.

8. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

Thank you for all the replies. Hopefully I can make a decision and will find one in my stocking this Christmas!

9. Confedneck79K30

also, if you run into a stuck zerk, check out part number "ufree1" from snapon... uses a light grease to bust clogs...

10. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've used both electric and air grease guns...don't like them. I like manual pump guns so I can tell if grease is going in or not, and can feel the amount of resistance the bearing/bushing has as far as taking the grease.

Come on guys, you should have at least one hand up to the task of a manual gun.:haha:

11. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

On larger equipment, a manual just takes too much time. The longer the equipment is down, the less money it's making for the owner. On my fire trucks, a truck being down can result in the loss of a structure.

Most of the electrics have a small indicator to show how much grease is going through the gun.

Just my .02

12. rjfguitar

I have two combines, not much equipment that I know of even have near as much zerts to grease. I can go just as fast with a manual as I can electric, and faster than air.

13. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

That explains it. You only have two...:wink1:

14. rjfguitar

And two bank outs that go along with them... and one guy to service everything every 10hrs. I probably grease 100 zerts per day when I have the equipment in the field.

15. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear about someone actually taking care of their equipment! I worked for a rental company for a while. People that usually rented the equipment never took care of it. We were always under a time crunch to get the equipment serviced/repaired and back out into the next customer's hands.