Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cordless or plug in Drill?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Boss, Jul 7, 2000.

1. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Sorry to post this hear, but I need quick answers. I'm replacing my drill today. It's a plug in type. I love it, but hate whipping out my extension cord everytime I use it. Are the cordless drills (Craftman brand that is) up to par these days? Are they just as powerful as the wire ones even with half battery life? or should I just stick to what I'm use to. Just wondering if they're worth the money that's all. Every cordless thing I had in the past was junk. Thanks.
    Boss

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

DeWalt is a good one!
    One way to test would be to see how hard it is to stop the head from spinning by squezzing it with your hand. The cheapos with no or little torque are easy to stop.
    Also look for the pakage deal that comes with extra battery and a carring case!!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Why not get the drill that is cordless and has an adapter for a cord. I think there are many brands that makes it.

89 K5 Silverado

4. Balou

Balou 1/2 ton status

don't know about craftman, but all we have here still is crap.
    As long as u don't go for the expensive high tech prof. stuff with several exchangable batteries you will need the extension cord just to load batteries all the time.
    Batteries will only work fine if you load/unload them daily (like mobile phones), if you keep them for longer period without using they will get crap.

I'll stay with the plug-in, you'll never find the power with batteries.

Balou
    "Size DOES matter!!!", said the girl last night.
    http://www.balou.coloradok5.com

5. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

I bought a $30 cordless craftsmen drill to use just to take screws out and stuff like that, and I also bought a $30 craftsmen drill with a cord. So far I haven't ran into anything that I needed more power for.

89 K5 Silverado

6. Balou

Balou 1/2 ton status

btw, if you want to stay independent, I remeber an aftermarket generator they offer for
    off-road trucks like Unimog and Hanomag which we mainly use for Sahara trips. Its a "fit all" additional one.
    You can choose output by a switch:
    12/24V
    110/220V
    and 380V high amp. for welding !!!

Will try to find the web-site.

Balou
    "Size DOES matter!!!", said the girl last night.
    http://www.balou.coloradok5.com

7. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

Go with the cord or spend some money on a Dewalt or Mikita. My $.02.

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well a lot depends on what your going to do. I run an onsite installation service and run Makita Cordless drills. for what I'm doing the work great. I have a Makita 9.6 angle and a 12v regular for installing hole mount antennas. Now batteries will run dead just sitting. So you need to keep an eye on them and plan your use ahead if you only using it once a month. Now on the other hand If you going to do a lot of drilling for a short period of time then even a cheap cord drill will kick a cordless butt in torq and use time.
    Always get a second battery and don't buy a cheap cordless. Never buy a Cordless that does not have a quick change battery.
    Price varies. a cord drill can be had all day long for $30
    A good cordless your looking to spend atleast $100. My 12v Makita with extra Battery was around $160 and included a quick charger.
    I don't have a bad thing to say about the Makita products. Beat the hell out of my tools and at three years of continuious use they are going stong and on the original batteries. I have used the Dewalt drills in simular ratings and they also seem to be a good quality product.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

9. James

James 1/2 ton status

Boss,
    Don't know much about craftsman cordless. Dewalt is best brand I know of. I have an 18v cordless with high rpm. Pretty powerful as well. Cost some coin though. If you want to get real crazy Dewalt now has a 24v cordless. If it is for garage or house use only. I would stick with plug in much more powerful and much much cheaper. Stay away from the cordless 9.6v to weak and do not hold charges very long.
    Peace
    James

10. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

Go with DeWalt or Makita. I have a Makita and it works great. I use a Craftsman plug-in drill whenever I have to drill into thick metal, though...

11. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I use a 4.8 volt Makita at work and I love it. I keep an 18 volt Dewalt cordless at the house though...and I love it too.
    Just get a 14.4 Dewalt and you'll be happy.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

12. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I say ya gotta have both. A Craftsman 1/2" chuck for drilling bigholes all daylong and a Dewalt or Makita cordless. The new cordless, keyless drills are awesome.....I'd scrap my plugin before my Dewalt.

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

13. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Makita or DeWalt are the way to go for a cordless. Don't get anything lower than 9.6 volts, preferable 12 or 14 volts for heavy duty work. I've been using Makita professionaly for about 15 years now, it's probably the easiest to find new or borrow batteries and chargers for.

14. James90

James90 1/2 ton status

go dewalt 24v cordless it can plug in too. I have an 18v and love it

[​IMG]Go prepared

I have a Shotgun a Rifle and a 4WD(K5) and Country Boy Can Survive!!!!