Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cork and rubber tranny gaskets...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ascuro, Feb 5, 2006.

1. ascuro

ascuro Registered Member

Just trying to confirm something real quick - for a TH350...cork pan gasket = no rtv, just clean and bolt up...rubber pan gasket = rtv on both sides?

I've never been a big fan of cork gaskets, but the risk of squeezing too much rtv into the tranny case kindof worries me, hehe.

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i'm not a fan of any silicone products in use with a gasket.. the slippery nature of silicone RTV doesn't jive well with either style gasket..

i'm a proponent of gasket adhesives such as Hi-Tack, etc...

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

I've always used cork and no sealant for the trans pan. Much easier to deal with if you change the filter once a year.

4. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I try to get the OE gasket at the dealership. I've always had problems with the ones from the parts stores. Ever since I started getting them from the dealership I haven't had a problem yet. :D

Rick

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

actualy rubber no sealent and dry surfaces . corke i would use some tach and seal . like permatex red stuff. in little steel can runny like water but super sticky .

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you don't go crazy with RTV, you don't have to worry about it. If you decide to use it, let it set up before installing, and let it sit and dry for awhile before you dump fluid in it.

I'm not saying the trans filter is a preventative measure for overuse of silicone, but it IS there for a reason. :)

I always used silicone on the pan side because I was too cheap to buy new pans every time I worked on a tranny. Even with straightening as best as you can, there is still the possibilty of leaks. Just have to learn that the bolts don't need 40ft lbs of torque, and a super thin smearing of RTV isn't going to hurt anything.