Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

corp. 10 bolt upgrade options

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Cornfield creations, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

I have decided to keep my stock corp. 10 bolt under my blazer. The time has come for ball joints. I was planning on putting in the stock greaseless from GM. Also at the same time i was gonna put on tie rods and draglinks from GM.

Question here is. are there options out there to replace the stock parts that will hold up better? It's my DD so it has to be roadworthy.

I was thinking heim joints maybe, but any information is greatly appreciated.

2. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

He is what I did. I wanted to keep my Blazer as stock as possible while building it up for durability and realiability.

I ordered everything thru Randys Pinon. Here is the list:

28spline Chromoly Axles front and rear
    New short drive shafts
    New U Joints
    All new seals and bearings
    4:10gear sets (my truck came with 2:73s ouch)
    Loc Rite rear locker.

One thing I wish I wouldve done is stepped up to the 30spline axles but this requires new carrier, at the time, money was kinda tight. Whatever you do, do it once. Im only running 32" tires and may go to 33s but that is it. Im not running big tires and not into mudbogging or rockcrawling.

3. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I installed a "rock rod" instead of the stock drag link. Much stronger and readily available. I got mine from Sky but there are a few people who make them.

As far as ball joints, I wouldn't waste money on factory parts. Most people like the Moog units, as they have an upper joint with a side-mounted grease fitting. Alternately, TRW has a non-greasable that carries a lifetime warranty (depending on where you shop). That's what I used.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

30 spline carriers are generally considered to be weaker then 28 spline carriers. So it would have been a downgrade to get a 30 spline unless you did a full case locker that is its own built in carrier. 30 spline axles sounds like a step up but when you are talking 2 splines on chromo's in a 10 bolt it is extra money for parts that are harder to find.

With chromo axles and beefy ujoints you have probably seen your last axleshaft failure. You will probably now experience hub, carrier, locker, or R&P failure.

What size tires are you going to run? what kind or terrain? what kind of driving style?

A front 10 bolt in stock form can handle good wheeling up to 35-37" tires locked with minimal failures if you don't use your right foot to get you everywhere. I have wheeled my K5 for 3 years with STOCK shafts and STOCK replacement ujoints. I rockcrawl it locked with 35" tires and now 37" tires. You just need to use your brain and not the skinny pedal.

For the rear if you plan on 35" or larger tires and are going to four wheel it then get a set of good Chromo rear axles and get rid of the stock spider gears. It should last awhile that way as long as you remember you have 10 bolts not 1 tons under your truck.

Harley

5. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

Where all can this "rock rod" be purchased?I need to replace my stock drag link since putting on new 35s.

6. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't spend any money on a rear 10bolt if you plan to wheel it. Axle shaft snapping = tire falling off. Ask me how i know:doah:. Go 14 bolt FF and never look back.

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Forget about GM front end parts, brother- they are WAY too spendy. Replace everything as you go with Moog stuff.

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Yes, Moogs are the way to go. Forgot to mention that in my last post. Try and find them with the lifetime warranty and a place that will honor it if you plan on wheeling the truck at all.

Harley

9. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Sky Manufacturing, NWF, ORD, Shakerbuilt... all the usual suspects.

Basically, it's just a hunk of DOM that's threaded on either end (one side reverse) to accept standard tie rod ends or heims. I got my entire setup (rod, ends and jam nuts) for $165 shipped. Cost me another few dollars to have it powder coated and now I have a drag link that should outlast the truck.

10. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

Thanx i will be checking that out!:D