Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Corp 10 bolt vs. Dana 44

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Sep 3, 2000.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Jul 10, 2000
    When I bought my 8-lug axles as a set, I checked the gear ratios etc. but for some reason (heat stroke?) I thought the front was a 44. After I put it on and used my brain for half a second, I realized it is a corp 10 bolt. It is 3.73 with 28-spline inner axleshafts.
    Looking at my old 6-lug Dana44, the inner axleshaft had a pronounced "necked-down" area right by its 30 spline axleshaft. My 28-spline 10bolt axleshaft has a necked-down area also, but it is much less pronounced. Which axleshaft is stronger? A 30spline with a much larger neck-down or a 28-spline that does not have even half the neckdown?
    Is the difference in neck-down due to 1/2 ton vs. 3/4 ton or dana vs. gm?
    I have heard the two axles are about the same in strength overall. Will this 10bolt stand up to 36's on front? I know the 14bolt easily will.
    After all the bad mouthing i've done to 10bolts (on the rear) I get one on the front... ;) Karma?
    -- Mike '76
  2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Jun 1, 2000
    I dont know about the shafts, but a Dana 44 and a 10 bolt are about equal in strength. The front axle is not semi floating so it is a little stronger than a rear 10 bolt. 35s are usually considered teh max for either one of these axles, and with mods 36.

3. keith

keith 1/2 ton status

Feb 17, 2000
    well you may want to keep the 44 if it has the flat surface on the passenger knuckle. Those are selling for anywhere from 50-100 a set. They are what you need if you plan to do a cross over steering setup.
    As for the axles You can upgrade the axles themselves with the WARN chromemoly ones that ORD sells . I put them in mine and they do not have the neck down area. They were tested in a 4 wheel mag several months back and the axles were rated as strong as the the stock DANA 60 axle. Go figure. The u-joints are what failed and they will not bend the shaft. Since it is chromemoly. I also ran a good Spicer 5-297x ujoint.