Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Corp 14 rebuild/rear disk brake and hub questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Desert Rat, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I plan on doing most of the rebuilding of my Corp14boltff myself. All but the ring/pinion. Question is, although I might be able to get the hub nut off using a punch, I'll just go and buy the socket for it. However, when I replace the bearings and races, should I bother getting the fancy tool that you use to drive them in and out? When I had my Bronco, I did the front D44 bearings and just used a punch to get them in and out. I was able to carefully drive the races back in and seat them without this wheel bearing puller/press that the Chevy manual recommends. Comments? Also, I will do the rear disk conversion while I am at it. I've been looking at the TSM, Shakerbuilt, and A-Tron kits. Anybody have any recommendations pro or con on these? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

a punch will work good. Also helps to put the races in the freezer to shrink them a little bit., makes going in with a punch that much easier

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I used a punch on mine and it worked fine, just be careful.

As far as the disc swap, Ive got misfits brackets and theyre great! I bought TSM, but they are multiple pices and i didnt like the that. Too many pieces to worry about. I dont know about the others, but from my experience, Go with Misfits.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I just installed the A-tron disk kit on my 14. Excellent quality, in fact it was about the easiest mod I've done to my truck yet.

Rene