Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

corp limited slip gear oil additive

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supernaut, Sep 13, 2005.

1. supernaut

supernaut Registered Member

how many quarts of gear oil fill up the dana 44 in my front axle and the 12 bolt limited slip corp in the rear axle? my manual doesn't say, schuck's can't tell me, Napa couldn't even find me the gaskets (dumbasses). Trying to save an extra trip or having extra gear oil when i remove diff covers, clean and re-fill this weekend. Any recommendations on a limited slip additive?

damn i can hardly wait for my driveline to come (yes, high angle, Jesse is the man) SOON I WILL WHEEL!

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

They usually take around 2.5 quarts I believe. And if you are carrying the stuff for spares, Castrol sells gear oil with the addative already in it. You can find it at Auto Zone.

:thumb:

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

GM additive best..

Get some genuine GM posi additive--its the best stuff,other brands work ok,but dont always eliminate chatter in the posi clutches..we sold "Amalie" posi lube,but it didn't work well in my El-Camino--I used gear lube that was posi ready too!--I changed the lube again after about 2000 miles and added the GM stuff ,and no more chatter..

It used to be whale sperm they used for posi lube additive!--it worked the best--it stunk like hell though!..its all synthetic or petroleum based now,since whales are an endangered species!..(we used to call posi additive "Whale Cum" at the parts store!) :crazy: :haha: :haha: :haha:

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If it's a factory Gov-lock.........then it does not require any additive!

5. supernaut

supernaut Registered Member

alrighty, thanks for the info! i bought my diff seals, 6 quarts of gear oil and the friction modifier additive. I took the time to go to a chevy dealer and get the GM brand additive. :D

the glove box documentation says limited slip. I'm not sure what a gov lock is. I read that limited slip chevy's have friction discs sort of like the transmission and that they required an additive to the gear oil to work optimally.

What is a gov lock? :confused: