Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

corporate 10bolt/dana44 axles interchange?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by FastEddy, Feb 26, 2001.

1. FastEddy

FastEddy 1/2 ton status

Wondering if front axleshafts from an earlier blazer with a dana 44 will fit my 87 suburban with the corporate 10 bolt front diff...I blew up the drivers side sunday out playin...of course it took out the inner and outer axles....the suburban is a 1/2 ton model, and so is the 77 blazer....Thanks...ED

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

No.
    The Dana 44 front axleshafts have 30 splines at the differential end (inner shaft), while your '87 model 10-bolt (should be) has 28 splines. There are also length differences between the inner shafts.
    However, the outer shafts (stubs) will interchange, so all you would really need are the correct inner shafts. Basically any 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck, Blazer, or Sub from about '78 to '87 with a 10-bolt front would be a potential donor (the 8-lug 3/4 ton 10-bolts use the same axleshafts...).

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

D44 inner shafts: left - 18.31 inches
    right - 36.13 inches

10B inner shafts: left - 19.15 inches
    right - 35.46 inches

ALL outer stub shafts - 9.94 inches

4. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    What's wrong, not even a inch difference, come on an inch off-road is really no biggie ?
    Same with spline count/size what's one count gon'a hurt !
    I hear that they will fit and work some of the time, you time may vary.
    Good luck

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Go ahead and try it. Dont say I didnt warn you. Be prepared for the big bill to swap in another front axle or replacing all the spider gears and shafts. They simply wont work. I have tried a 10B shaft swap into a D44 and they DONT work!!

6. BIGCHEVY

BIGCHEVY Registered Member

HEY ED. I HAVE A SET OF CORPORATE 10 BOLT AXLES. THEY ARE OUT OF A 1980 CHEV 1/2 TON. I HAVE THEM IN MY GARAGE. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED SEND ME AN E-MAIL AT bigchev454@hotmail.com

IF IT AIN'T BROKE,YOU AIN'T TRYING HARD ENUFF

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I'm thoroughly convinced that this Executioner guy smokes crack while on the computer, just read any of his posts, but anyway......

Having an axleshaft with a different spline count than the diff (aka. trying to fit a 28 spline shaft into a 30 spline carrier) is the same as trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, it just does not work! The only way the 28 spline shaft might actually fit into the 30 spline carrier would be because the 28 spline shaft has a slightly smaller diameter.....meaning that the splines will not be meshing and will probably strip out the splines on one or the other and cause lots of damage.
    The length differences can also cause issues because the axles are designed to have a certain amount of end-play (too long and there's no play), on the other hand if the shaft is too short you lose a certain amount of spline engagement (if you normally have 2" of engagement between the shaft and the carrier, but now put in a 1" shorter shaft this means you only now have 1" of engagement....meaning the the torque is being transferred through only half as much area and could lead to breakage).