Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

corporate 14 bolt drum brakes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lordhelmet, Sep 9, 2006.

1. lordhelmet

lordhelmet Registered Member

I am swapping in a corporate 14 bolt into my 85 blazer. The axle is out of a 73 3/4 ton and the brake drums are shot. I also want my parking brake to work but the backing plates are not compatable. Does anyone know if I can use the rear drums and backing plates from a 89 or newer corporate from a suburban or PK?

2. AnthonyG

AnthonyG 1/2 ton status

dont see why not, the only thing you might run into is diferint size breaks, but thats no big deal just find on that has the right e-break cable style 4 ur rig

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Yep that is what I did. But if I had to do it all over again I would just go disc. I will be doing this shortly as it is so I have the cost of replacing all of the old drum stuff and now the cost of going disc. If you have plans for disc breaks do it all at once. Just my .02.

Ira

4. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Also watch out for outboard vs inboard drums. 11 and 13" drums i believe too

5. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

also 3.5" and 2.5"

6. hack500

hack500 1/2 ton status

but if you factor in the cost of discs + the cost of a driveline brake then keeping the drum brakes is a bit cheaper - especially for those that don't already have a fixed-yoke transfercase.

get backing plates and all the other brake parts for an '85 14bff. or you can make some adapter plates for your '85 e-brake cables to fit into the '73 backing plates. jsyk, if you have 11" drums on your '73 14b the wheel cylinders from other years won't work... found that out the hard way :doah:

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

just dont try and use the newer pop off drum style stuff. that wont work on the pressed on drums stuff like you have.

thay changed the spindle specs and other spacing.

so yes as long as it is press on drum as in being held with the studs from the back side of the hub go for it. but if you have your choice. get the big 13x3.5 shoe. its great for stoping power and much easyer to find.

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Backing plates were revised for '84 for the push-in style brake cables. You can use them right up to '00 or so providing you rip off the extra tack-welded dust shield ring.

I'm quite sure the 14bSF plates from the years work on the 14bFF if you are using the 13x2.5" drums.

9. lordhelmet

lordhelmet Registered Member

Thanks

Thanks to those of you who replied. Disk are just not an option at this time. You have helped greatly.