Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Corporate layoffs - Anyone else going through it?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Nov 22, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

My company just went through a round of layoffs. Lucky for me I was not laid off...
    The last time we went through it was in 11/2001, after 9/11 pounded the economy into the dirt. This time, it appears our corporate budget projections were a lot higher than we actually billed. Not an accounting error, more like things looked really good, then turned south somewhere during the year. Some extra luxuries were taken that can't be supported under the realistic budget numbers.

One thing I have to say about local NYC management of our 6 properties here; these are good guys, businessmen that care about their people. They fight like hell to cut anything but people when the money's not flowing inward. I know the VP who had to do the cuts was not enjoying it and was far from himself. I heard they worked out ways to keep some of the laid off people part time or something, too.

I guess this is the time of year for layoffs? I got this news yesterday morning in a department meeting, then when I got back to my office and checked Yahoo Biz, I found the GM and Ford layoff news.

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Yep, Deltat got me last spring, then called me back. Then they got me again a few months ago. I don't think there will be a recall this time.

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

yea I got hit in 01 working for Texas Insturments which turned out to be a blessing with the severence package and me going to school. But the down side is my dad got laid off about 6 months ago and is still w/o a job. Things are starting to get a little tight around the parents house from what I understand.