Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Correct me if Im wrong

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sandawgk5, Jan 23, 2007.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I ordered some exhaust hangers that are solid rod and I think they are 304 stainless. In order to weld these hangers to my aluminized exhuast that I am building I would need to us ER308L wire and it is OK to use 75/25 Ar/CO2.

If this is the case can I do the aluminized pipe with the stainless wire also? Not really needed as I am going to paint it all black just curious.

Ira

2. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

No need for stainless wire. You can weld the stainless just like regualr steel but it wont be rust proof like if you welded it with stainless wire.
    But since your going to paint it black it doesnt matter.

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I thought regular wire would not stick to the stainless base metal? If I can use regular wire that is a bonus as a 2# spool of ER308L is like $30:eek1:.

Ira

4. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am in fact not a welding expert but I have welded stainless to normal steel and it has held just fine. It was a wheel well though so no real stress on it

5. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Well that is 2 that say just stick it. The weld in question would be 3/8" rod for exhaust hangers so no real stresses involved on the weld itself. I just remember as a kid I used the wrong rod when welding stainless and the filler did not stick at all it just fell off. Maybe with aluminized and stainless mixing together it holds.:dunno:.

Anyone else?

Ira

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Stainless to steel is fine with regular microwire. Welding the aluminized stuff is a pain unless you grind the area to be welded. So, figure out exactly where the weld is gonna be and grind that part of the exhaust tube and weld it up.

Rene

7. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

So run a flap disc on the area to weld to remove the aluminized and then regular 70s-6 will work?

Do you have any knowledge of the millermatic 140? It has a new thing where you set the material type and size and the welder adjust automatically but you can still adjust manually. It is slightly more expensive than what I have my eye on and it does not come with a cart.

Ira

8. tRustyK5

I haven't heard anything about the 140. The auto adjust might be really handy for someone that doesn't weld for a living as it'd get the machine into the sweet spot for what you're doing easily. Should save some headaches and farting around. That being said the MM 135 has a chart that will get you close quickly and easily too.

Rene

9. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I think I am gonna stick with the 135 as it is tried and true. Is my logic on welding the stainless hangers correct?

Ira

10. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I have welded stainless hanger straps to 3" AL with no issues before.
    The only time I have broken one off was when the exhaust shop tried to braze the hanger to the back of my FLO40?????

11. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Cool, When you get back intown if you live down this way Stoody is the place to get your welding supplies. They beat Airgas and Westair by aboot $60 on a 50 CF cylinder with gas. And they have a military discount. I asked about welders and they told me where I could get a better deal than buying one with them. To me that says something about the company as a whole.

Ira

12. tRustyK5

Sorry Ira, yeah just flap wheel the coating off the pipe and weld er up. I treat it the same as welding galvanized stuff.

Rene

13. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Most ideal filler for stainless to carbon is 309, but nearly anything will work.