Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Mar 31, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Correct me if I\'m wrong.

I need yáll to point out any flaws in my plans. Okay, I'm going to tell ya my whole plans. As yáll know, I have a 76 K5 with a 6" suspension lift. I'll be installing a set of 3/4 Ton axles , trimming the fenders, and bolting on some 38" Ground Hawg radials. Future plan is for a Dana 60, but till I can afford it, I'll have to live with a D44. When I do finally get a 60, front and rear gears will be 4:56, with a Detroit Locker in the rear. Soonner or later I do plan on going Big Block, TH400/NP-205. Now this will be a all around rig. It'll see streets, interstate, and trails. I'm not into hard core rock crawling, I'm more for trails. I like to go camping in those hard to get to places, out in the middle of the forest. Do yáll think that combo will work well for my app. ??? Is my planning flawed ???

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Re: Correct me if I\'m wrong.

Yup, you didn't mention what color you are gonna paint it? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, I didn't see 4 chromed shocks per wheel, purple driveshafts, or 20" rims in your list, so I think you'll be allright. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Seriously though, that sounds like an awesome combination - and is actually my "dream" truck. 38's are a great size and are my ultimate goal (that will probably change when I get there though /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif). Gonna be a sweet, multi-purpose ride when it's "done."

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If I ever repaint it, it'll be the factory colors. I like the two tone blue and white. Now I might just have to paint the driveshafts like barber poles. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

My friend had that idea a couple years ago... I think it would be interesting to see a driveline painted up like that... spinning as you go down the road. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I did that on my first K5. Looked pretty kewl when I seen them spinning when my father drove it. They do get dirty pretty quick, but I don't mind spraying them off with the garden hose. I found that if you wax them once a month, they clean up alot easier.

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    38's are a great size and are my ultimate goal

[/ QUOTE ]

For a all around truck, I'd go with some 37" MT/Rs for tires.

8. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I found that if you wax them once a month, they clean up alot easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even want to know what you do with your pole /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

John [​IMG]

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I found that if you wax them once a month, they clean up alot easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even want to know what you do with your pole /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

John [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ] LOL, kinda explains it all doesn't it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

One thing missing from the list was the gold plated diff covers" I think that they add 50+ HP plus the bling bling effect. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

That should get you out of the woods with no problem.

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    One thing missing from the list was the gold plated diff covers" I think that they add 50+ HP plus the bling bling effect. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ] I ain't the one !!!!!!! I just couldn't do the bling bling sh*t on any of my vechiles !!!! Oh hell no !!!!!! LOL.

14. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm not into hard core rock crawling, I'm more for trails. I like to go camping in those hard to get to places, out in the middle of the forest.

[/ QUOTE ]

For what you plan...1/2 ton diff's and 33's with a posi in the rear would be quite enough. Seriously.

Rene

15. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

you might think about 4.88 not much difference but might look at the #s

that is if you do not have the 4.56 in as week speak.

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm not into hard core rock crawling, I'm more for trails. I like to go camping in those hard to get to places, out in the middle of the forest.

[/ QUOTE ]

For what you plan...1/2 ton diff's and 33's with a posi in the rear would be quite enough. Seriously.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ] Don't want 33's. 33's are way too small !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With 33's I wouldn't be able to make it down half the trails in the Black Hills national forest. Around here you NEED a min. of 36" tires. I'm going 38" Ground Hawg radials. I'm not a rock crawler, but there are some rocks to deal with on the trails aswell as downed trees around here. Not to mention mountin streams that are deeper then they look to cross.

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    you might think about 4.88 not much difference but might look at the #s

that is if you do not have the 4.56 in as week speak.

[/ QUOTE ] I know there isn't much difference between the 4:56 and 4:88 gears, but I will be doing alot of interstate driving. I do go down to Omaha regularly. 500 miles each way. Plus the last 3 digits on my plates are 456, so I thought that would be ironic to have those gears. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif With the 38's, 4:56 should be just about right.

18. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I'd think the 44 would be good enough (as if) for what you want to do. Then I factor in the 38's and the spectator effect on the loud pedal and I think mebbe you should just skip spending money on the 44 altogether. Get the 60 from the start.

19. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Plus the last 3 digits on my plates are 456, so I thought that would be ironic to have those gears.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> That's not irony, that's coincidence. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif </font>

20. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd think the 44 would be good enough (as if) for what you want to do. Then I factor in the 38's and the spectator effect on the loud pedal and I think mebbe you should just skip spending money on the 44 altogether. Get the 60 from the start.

[/ QUOTE ] Bought the axles from a wrecked 78 3/4 ton pick up last Jan. [​IMG] So I already have a set of axles with matching gears. By the way, I got them for $250.00 , I thought that was a good deal.