Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

correct pinion angle for front

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crazyhole812, Jan 30, 2006.

1. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

i did the 52" swap but didn't make note of the stock pinion angle. i'm sure that between the longer shackles and moving the hanger forward (= up slightly) the pinion is down a little. so what angle is it supposed to be? thanks guys

2. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

There is no single correct pinion angle. What it needs to be is within 2 - 3 degrees ( opinion varies on this amount ) of the angle of the ouput on your transfercase. Google on pinion angle or driveline phasing, theres a ton of great info out there.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I cranked mine way up to get the yoke out of the rocks. Mine does not see pavement though....

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

If you have a CV front shaft, pinion angle is less important.

5. clstolten

clstolten 1/2 ton status

With a cv the pinion should point directly at the cv, however the front axle has specific caster/camber built into it. If you want to rotate the axle, you will then have to rotate the ends of the axle/knuckles. I am curious as to what the stock angle is as well. I was thinking that if you dropped a plumb bob from the top balljoint, and then made a line from the top ball joint to the bottom balljoint, and set that angle to what it would have been stock. Should keep the caster/camber set correctly for good road manors. I need to figure out what this angle is, since I just swapped 52's as well. Anybody have that info?? Or maybe the correct way to get the factory settings back?