Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Correct way to ground a k5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazindorito, Sep 22, 2006.

1. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

What is the correct way to ground the truck? I currently have battery to engine block, battery to frame. Is this correct or is there a better way? Thanks. I almost have no power to anything elecrical.

2. badmix

badmix 1/2 ton status

There should be a ground from engine block to frame. And then batt to frame. This is the way mine is setup. I have a ground strap on pass. side and may for redunancy put one from engine to frame on drivers side. Cant have too many grounds.

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

one more ground...maybe two..or three!

Factory setup had a braided strap from one valve cover bolt to the firewall too...a few trucks had a similar strap screwed to the right cab mount,and went to the frame...some also had a strap grounding the tranny case there too...most of these get removed or broken,and left off..:crazy:

4. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

There should be a ground wire going to the fender from the battery also. When you say almost no power to electrical what are you getting?
    Raining here now I will take picture if you need one. Mine is a 1987

5. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

What I mean by almost no power is all power windows go up fast but are really slow coming down. If I reverse the wires then it goes up really slow and comes down fast. The dome light looks like it's dim. My wiring is all screwed up plus I figure it's not really grounded right.

6. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

What I would do is check ground points battery to fender, battery to frame, battery to motor. Then check to see if you have motor to cab fire wall.The windows do that some times due to contacts being dirty or corroded. Get some electric contact cleaner and spray the wire ends to the window motor.

The tail gate is only grounded by the hinges and they rust causing it to lose ground. Some of the other guys out there can give you more details. My memory is not to sharp today so I am foggy on what you should get for reading on a voltmeter.

Hope that helps you some on sorting it out. I am sure you know to be sure contact points are clean.

7. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Also check all your grounds. Take them off, clean really good with a wire brush and put back on. Even though it's grounded, over time they corrode and are not as effective.