Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Correlation between AC and heating systems?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fortcollinsram, Nov 29, 2001.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Is there anywhere on the vehicle where the AC and heating systems share similar components? To me, it looks like some heater componentes are mounted around the AC box on the firewall...Basically, when I rip out my AC, what do I have to leave in for my heat to work? Thanks

Chris

<font color=red>1987 Blazer K5, 4" Rancho Lift, 33" BFG AT, Dual Battery setup, AND MORE TO COME [​IMG]
    Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red>

2. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

When removing the A/C, just take out the compressor, the high and low pressure lines, the dryer, and the evap core.

If you take those components out, the only thing that will be affected will be your defrost option. When you switch a GM vehicle to defrost, regardless of the temp setting you choose, it enables the A/C compressor. It does this to remove the moisture from the air. You will no longer have this feature when you select defrost.

Thomas.

-- '84 1-Ton Blazer --
    When the goin' gets tough,
    the tough go 1-Ton [​IMG]

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

And don't unhook the vaccuum line for the defrost,also you will have to leave the AC box as it is attached to the heater box or do one of two things 1 cut them apart and make a smaller box that will attach to the heater box and fire wall which is what I plan to do or 2 put a heater box from nom AC unit in... Someone here has done a write up on that, I think it was Dorian Yeager and/or Grim..

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

If ya really wanna clean up the look, swap out to a non A/C heater unit. It is much smaller and cleaner looking. I got the stuff from the wrecking yard....ya gotta weld ( patch ) up the hole in the firewall where the old unit comes off and cut a new hole for the new unit. Took me around 3-4 hours to do the swap. I don't run inner fender wells though. Do a search...this was talked over a few weeks ago and someone posted some pics of the swap.

Michael[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm>www.jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm</a>

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I've got some pics of the "after" and mine wasn't that "clean" of a swap, since I was working in a field with hand tools. You can see most of the plate you have to add on the right in this picture. www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

6. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Perfect. That pic helps out, thanks. (I plan on doing the same swap myself, sooner or later)

Any changes to the ducting work under the dash?

<font color=blue>Twiz

7. dyeager535

I can only go off of how my '86 cab was, but just about everything was different. I would have to assume '81-91 would be the same way. The inside heater "box" is different, (where the heater core goes) the kick panels are different, the body itself is different (no hole in drivers side for the vent non AC trucks got) the heater control unit is different...hmm...guess thats about it : ) Don't forget to take the cables with the control "head".

There are two non AC heater boxes for the '85/'86's (not sure how many years back that goes) ones the HD heater (C42) and ones not. About the only other thing to look out for.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

dorian I saw yors and how do you adjust the vent to, cooler instead of warmer if your patch panel covers the vent wing, do you know what i mean, thats why i was going to build a smaller box that would allow the wing to fan out past the fire wall, sorry if this is whacky but pepsi and keyboards dont mix and cant use all the keys...[​IMG]

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

9. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Why do you want to RIP out your a.c. ???-Jim

88 5.7 5in lift 35"procomp at's
    700-208-456-3in exh w/flowlowder 10 bolts & some ORD stuff

10. rick4x4

rick4x4 Registered Member

I bet that non of them live where it gets as hot as it does here in Louisiana in the summer time. My ac is staying.

11. fortcollinsram

I am taking mine out because of the following:

The compressor froze on the previous owner (bearing is shot) and he took the belt off the compressor and it is just taking up space in the engine compartment. Sure I could get a new compressor or rebuild the old one but I really don't need AC here in Colorado. I just will take off the top [​IMG] Plus I am going to use the current AC compressors spot for a York compressor to power my onboard air system. I am also going to use my present AC condenser as a Tranny cooler and I am going to turn my current factory tranny cooler into and oil cooler. It just isn't very practical for ME (personally) to fix my busted AC system. Plus if i kept AC and got it running again, it would still need to be converted to the type of freon (at least that is what I was told). That is my reasoning behind ripping out my AC system...[​IMG][​IMG]

<font color=red>1987 Blazer K5, 4" Rancho Lift, 33" BFG AT, Dual Battery setup, AND MORE TO COME [​IMG]

12. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

yeah what he said and by the way we're all gonna want a write up on the other things you talked about sounds [​IMG]

13. dyeager535

All the "air diversion" is controlled from the inside box. The whole thing "relocates" the core closer to the passenger side, and the air comes in through the fender IIRC. I can picture the whole assembly, but not where the air enters!

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>

14. fortcollinsram

I'll do it for sure [​IMG] I am getting the your here in about a week or so and it has all the brackets for a SBC [​IMG]...I can't wait to get this rig on the right foot..I gotta run and do a Statistics Lab thats due tomorrow @ 10 and its 9 at night now and I am going to my girls house for the night so I gotta get working gang...Later,

Chris

15. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I'm ripping mine out, because it's inop. and has been for years. It's also a full-topper, so A/C isn't needed. Plus it's about 30 lbs of extra weight I don't need. (makes way for 30 lbs of stuff I do need).

<font color=blue>Twiz</font color=blue>
    Can't get it up?
    So, drop it in
    gear.

16. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

man twiz i hear ya tha t compressor is aloy heaveor than i though,.,.

17. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

see wat happens wen your kid pours pepsi in yor key bord