Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Corrupted Schools...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Capman2k, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

What's up with the schools?? sheesh...

We were to have registered for next year's classes by Feb. 28th or they would put our schedule together for us at random... SO lots of people don't register (forget papers, don't have a signature, etc) and they give us till March 4th to get with the counselors and do our schedule... No big deal, I'm for a second chance... well, March 5th (today) rolls around and I get a pass in PE to go to the office.. I'm like oh [censored] I ditched one too many times or somethin... Turns out they're forcing kids to register!!! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

Sure, I'm somewhat satisfied knowing that I picked the classes I'll be taking, but I'd just like to know what happened to high schools producing responsible adults... In the real world they're not gonna give you two chances and then have the boss take you in his office to watch you do it, and not say a SINGLE WORD about being irresponsible or wondering why the job wasn't done the first OR second time... If you mess up once or especially twice, you might as well kiss your job goodbye in most places...

Anyone else notice this as one of the many flaws of public schools???

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Man I have worked around schools doing maintenance for 20 years. I have come to the conclusion that teachers are just Kids, who never got out of school. They dont know what responsibility is. So how can they teach it?
    Jeees They cant even turn off the lights and lock the doors when they leave the building. I have to pay a custodian over time to check the buildings and set the alarms because some of these mental giants are too intimidated by the alarm panel to enter a 4 digit code and make sure the door locks behind them.
    They only work 6 months out of the year. Have 6-8 hour days
    Their jobs are totally secuere. They dont even have a clue what "Getting Fired" even means.
    I cant believe these part time workers have the GALL to complain they are under paid.
    Sorry about the rant but. I hate those calls at 2 in the morning from the cops because one of those #@#%!! teachers left a door open./forums/images/icons/mad.gif

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Try being a teacher for a week or two at their pay and see if you dont want more money too. I think it's very small of you to lump all of any profession, race, sex, religion, whatever into one big labeled pot. Yep they have time off, try 10 hour days here, job security because burnout is about 3 years now. They can't even get them trained in the time it takes them to burn out. Why? Because they spend about 60% of time diciplining folks kids and 40% actually teaching. To tell you the truth, that would make me think twice about being a teacher anymore if I were in those shoes. So if they are frazzled at the end of the day and forget to turn out the lights, so fawkin what. Maybe you should learn a way to work the problem and not be so pessimistic on the first target you see.

Sorry dude...i tried to ignore this post. But I just couldnt do it.

Bryan

4. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

My question is why are you ranting about schools making people responsible and your the one that didn't registar, they are not your mother and shouldn't have to do stuff for you. Sounds to me like your wining because you can't take responsibility

5. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

The point isn't that I didn't register (and I would hardly say I was whining about anything), I just found it suprising that they didn't mention it at all... If I wasn't a smart little boy /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif I would learn the lesson of "I'll just sit here and eventually they'll make me do it" and that's not responsibility to me... If there was some punishment involved, even just some old lady on the street saying I'm an irresponsible pile of scum, I would've done it... I don't want mysterious old ladies talking to me on the street /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

ummmm, can we say "Home-schooling"?

My wife and I have decided to home school. Statistically, home schooled kids learn faster, learn more, and are more successful later in life. Comparatively, when my kid should be in 10th grade public school, he'll be finished with the state curriculum through home school. It's like someone above said, these teachers have to spend too much time raising someone's kids instead of teaching them.

Also, statistically, home-schooling has been seriously increasing in practice in the US. And I'd bet it's the parents whose kid is undisciplined in school that are NOT home-schooling...

7. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I wanted to be home-schooled, but my parents are working people, and if I were home schooled we'd be living in a cheapo apartment or something /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif...

Here's a nice solution to teachers having to raise people's kids: bring back the good ol' whipping for screwing up, at home and at school, kid's will learn nice and quick that way!

If teacher's don't make enough, there's a simple solution: Get another job or sell your brand new spotlessly clean, fully loaded mercedes or the huge SUV in the driveway... Then go move out of the huge house you had custom built on top of the hill out north... After that, buy a cheaper car like a Subaru, and then get an apartment or a small house somewhere... Single people don't need big houses, and two people really don't either... I'd like a lot more money for washing dishes, but if I complain about it I won't have anything in the "carl needs a Suburban fund." I don't know how much teacher's make... If it's really not enough to live on under "normal" conditions (normal size house, normal size vehicles, normal size family), then I say give em more. but they can't be too bad off living alone in huge houses with expensive cars...

Anyway, I see I won't win this (grrr... adults), and I'm officially late for Geometry (Maybe teacher will accept "I had to hit up on CK5" /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif), so I better go to the kitchen and get some breakfast and fire up the 'ru...

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

LOL dude you're outta touch. Ever seen your teach's house? My wife makes about 28K a year, which after taxes, retirement, and whatever else they pull out, equals $1752 a month. That's not starting pay, that's about it. I think they get $250 a year more every year they work! WOW! Not bad for a supplemental income, but as I'm in school right now (till december) it's rough. We scrape right down to the wire every month even with part time and odd jobs I pick up. Cant wait till I graduate and am making 35k to 45k and can support the family the way it needs to be supported.

And you say wow, they get summers off though. Think about that one. With summers off, you get two choices. You can either get a minimum wage kind of job since it's only for 3 months. Or you can have some fun and spend a lot of your measley income. Sounds great, but the reality doesn't support it unless there's income coming in from a spouse or something.

As for houses, we rent at $500 a month. Drive a '99 econobox prism and a '96 F150. Have a blazer, but hardly any funds to work on it.

And I wholly agree with the touchy feeley way america is. Time outs and school suspensions aren't cutting it. Something needs to change there, but it's on a supreme court level and not something that every school can just change on their own.

So the fact remains. As for my wife, she was fully prepared to teach for that little cash. But with all the bs she has to put up with from kids, parents, upper management, ect, she's looking to move on and get a "real" job in a year or two. I believe it's a noble profession, but few of the truely great teachers ever get realized due to all the hassle and the turnover.

My .02 and then some.

Bryan

9. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

oh shut up and let me be outta touch /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

10. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Bryan is right you are out of touch... I work for the Sacramento City Unified School District (I am not a teacher, but I work with plenty of them)... teachers don't make a whole lot when you compare what they do to other professions. These people are given the task to teach kids who for the most part think they already know it all and are the best thing since sliced bread. Their jobs are to make you guys ready for the real world. Most teachers don't have custom built homes, and $40,000 SUV's... and for the ones that do.... good for them. I'm sure they worked hard and saved years to get that stuff. There's nothing wrong with those folks having some nice stuff just like there's nothing wrong with you and your parents have some nice things in life! For people who are given such a huge task of teaching and building minds to lead our country in the future teachers sure are pissed on by most and assumed to be whinney over paid slackers... I'd love to see anyone who complains about them work a few months in a high school classroom teaching... opinions would change for sure and greater respect would for sure be earned....

11. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

i don't know about home schooling...I've met some home schooled kids before and they usually have no friends and are really sheltered...seems like people like that don't have much fun in their lives...until they go to college and go crazy becasue they are finally with people their age...just my $.02

12. 82GMC

82GMC 1/2 ton status

Speaking as a guy who has been homeschooled his whole life, I can say that yes, Some homeschooled kids do live a shelterd life. BUT All the ones like this I know, Are shut up mostly becasue their parents are scared of the world, And seem to think that if they let there "babys" go out into the world, They'll turn into mass murderers or something/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif.
    Now I will admit, I don't get out as much as I'd like, But I have plenty of friends, And get out and do a lot more besides just sit at a desk and listen to a teacher drone on all day. And I don't think I've missed much by not going to school. And can think of a lot of things I do do, That I prolly never whould have been able to, If I had been in school, Because I whould not have had time.
    Homeschooling when done right, And if you as a parent have the time to do, Is a good thing. It is rather sad when I meet people who when they find out I've been homeschooled, Pretty much come off liek this. :them: Homeschooling is crap!! :me: Why? :them: Uhh I don't know it just is. I think Some folks just need to open their eyes a little bit, And see what homeschooling really is. My .02$ And sorry if I come off like a preacher/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif.

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

personally, i don't care what teachers do. It would be nice if a VAST majority of them weren't bleeding heart leftists tho. Their indoctrination of the young with that crap is scary. If I have ever had a teacher/professor that was to the right they kept it a WELL guarded secret. To me, that is good. I want a teacher to help me learn, not fill my head with their own political beliefs. I can't even count the number of leftist wackos I have had for teachers, and few of them make any attempt to hide it.

BTW, for the bone-head who is about to respond about how I am lumping all teachers together, save it. My mom was a teacher, my sister is a teacher, and 2 of my last 3 girlfriends were teachers. I know the skinny. Their job is hard, their pay is low (neither is harder or pays less than the military, but thats another discussion). That said, its no excuse for politicizing (sp) the class room. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

J

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

BTW, for the bone-head who is about to respond about how I am lumping all teachers together, save it.

<hr></blockquote>

I hope that wasn't aimed at me.../forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Probably 95% of teachers I've had are bleeding heart commie nazis. But there are the rare few that take a conservative standpoint. And I think those are becoming more and more as they see and recognize the bullshit they have to wade through in the classroom because of such practices.

15. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

nuttin' wrong at all with home schooling. It doesnt matter where you get your education, so long as you get it. Assuming you were taught to read first and were properly motivated, you could get an oustanding education just by spending several hours a day at a public library reading. Heck, Einstein taught himself calculas right? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

the "social skills" that you are supposed to learn in the public school system are HIGHLY over rated by the anti-home schooling crowd. As a kid, you could go play at public parks on week ends and get the same thing if not better.

J

16. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

where to start on this one... ok lets start off with this... most teachers in the united states are not qualified to teach in the field they are in.. The education they give kids today isnt worth the paper the diploma is printed on... They say "give us more money"... i say "show me the results that you deserve more money".. I know i am going to take some heat on this subject but lets be real here.... If a teacher is showing that they are worth a damn and teaching the kids then give that teacher more money... If i went to work and sat around all day and complained that billy joe bob next to me is getting paid more then me and i deserve more money even though he is the one doing all the work then i would be fired right away... Show me a teacher that gives a damn about students and education and i will show you a teacher that deserves a raise... till then i dont fell sorry about the money they make and am tired of hearing them cry the little eyes out like babies....
    that is one of the problems with the unions in this country... its give me what i want, when i want it, even if i dont produce the work to deserve it... This is just something that pisses me off everyday along with people that have there hands out for anything the government can give them..
    I went threw public school and i remember the teachers that gave a damn and those that didnt... tell you what.. i respect the ones that cared a hell of alot more then the ones i didnt...
    I will agree that most teachers out there are on the left side of things and think it is there duty to keep the kids in this nation as stupid as possiable in order to keep them dependant on government.. Those that are on the right cant say what they feel, cant teach the way they want, cant even mention what they believe in due to the fact that they will get fired, or some stupid ass parent out there that thinks there kid is gods gift to everyone will sue the daylights out of them...

I will refer you back to a story recently that happened here in kansas city.. There is a teacher here that has had the same criculum as long as she has teached at this school.. Basically she tells every student that 2/3rds of there grade is going to come from a report that the student writes on the subject of that semester.. Well about 80 percent of the students went out on the web and did a copy and paste for there report and she caught them doing it.. Failed most of the class due to plagerism.. Well the parents of these students complained to the school board because they say there kids didnt understand that they where supposed to write there own paper and not just plagerize it from the web even though the students had signed a paper at the beginning of the semister stating what was expected and that they understood everything... Well needless to say they school board over ruled her grades and passed all of them, The teacher made a statement saying that if that is the way the school board and parents are going to be that she would rather resign then to continue teaching at that school...
    Now i can understand where she is coming from... And i would say that her morals, and judgement alone is worth something.. she set a criculum and cared enough about it to warrent her to resign due to this.. .This tells me that she is someone that wants to make a difference, wants to have the kids she see's excell, and isnt going to stand in line with her hand out.. This is someone i believe would deserve a raise...

With that said i will wait the replys, the flames, etc...

17. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

I had read somewhere that that teacher used a web service, turnitin.com maybe (?), to check if the papers were copied from the 'net. Anyone know if that is true?

-Aaron

18. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

i know the one that happened here wasnt found out with that... she was going over the papers and realized that most of them where word for word what the other papers where saying... She went on the net and did a little research and found the documents that the kids copied from and printed them off as evidence... One of our local news radio stations talked to her in an interview and she said that is how she caught them... never said anything about using a program or something else on the net to check it out..

19. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

Good for her being alert like that /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Thanks for the info.

-Aaron

20. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

ok, first of all, the reason wh yteachers are so tired and frustarted is becasue students, like myself, are a$$holes in the classroom. we dont repect them ,and we have no moivation to. we terrorize them into leaving. My grade has ahd a majo impact in teachers leaving since we were in 5th grade. that is 5 years of burning out of teachers, and many were in their first year. we have made major impacts in 8 teachers leaving the school. and there proably will be more this year. kids in schools today are bad. we have no fears. the worst thing is our parents. at most they will take away our car, and ground us for a week or two. suspensions from school are a blessing to us. we dont have to go to school. most poarents are over it my mid-week and have them doing nothing. dont just point finger at salaries. tey should be paid more.
    i go to a private school, where the learning environment is suposedly better. it is only better if you are teaching kids who want to learn. the kids at my school drive nicer cars than the teachers. and that is the truth.
    burnout: it is not just students, and salary. they have familys somewhere. quite a few teachers have gotten jobs in thir hometown where they have family and can be close to them more. thy can get more money doing something that their degree is more directly alligned with. teachers are not respected by anyone, and they have the third most outside impact to a student, behind their peers and their parents. why dont we be kind to hte teachers.
    another rason teachers cannot control the classroom is no-tolerance policys. the school just says that if a student does something remotely bad, the nthey get some outragus punnishment. kids just stop caring, and sonce they are gonna get in trouble, they go all out.
    you may not disagree with me, but if you dont, i dont care. i am a kid in high schooll right now, and can see this everyday. the kids just shrug off any threats the teachers make, becasue they cannot do it, becasue it is againts the school's policy's.
    thank you for your time.