Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Corvette 350 / 700r4 tranny, should I?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SHINTON, Dec 18, 2002.

1. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

I was surfing a bit and found a guy selling an engine and tranny from 1990 Corvette, including wiring harness, computer, etc, everything I need to run.

So my question is, the tranny was identified as a 700r4 which I think is a slightly different version from the trucks, etc.

So, assuming I could buy this for under $2000 for both, should I get/put it in my 72 GMC Jimmy. In theory replacing my TH350 and mating up to my NP205 tcase (adapter?)

Would getting a NP203 make alot of sense instead and go ahead and doing 203/205 doubler while I am at it, less adapters, etc?

There is also the option of a Camaro engine from the same year for about $1200 again all the goodies but no tranny. I would love to have Fuel injected for my beast, I am NOT extreme at this point and I am more interested in decent drivability/reliablity.

This is not a daily driver, but has also not reached "towed to trail rig" status either. Other plans are lockers front/rear, 35 boggers and lotsa rock rail protection, new cage, etc.

Sam...visions of Corvette powered Jimmy dancing in my head! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

You'd have to have the output shaft on the tranny changed to a 4wd shaft (shorter than the 2wd one) that mates to whatever T-case you want to run.

3. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

that's the exact engine i'm running in My Heep.
    I love it. Lot's of power. Tranny has the lowest 1st of any auto and it's got a good overdrive so i can run a lower axle gear.
    You might have to do the rear output shaft. I just cut mine off and it worked fine but i'm running a custom adapter.

4. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I'd go for it, man. A 350 TPI motor would be great in a first gen.

Hey, I totally forgot you were in High Point. We're right down the road from each other now. I work over here in Greensboro and live in the Burlington area. We should get together sometime, I'd like to see the truck!

5. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

Actually I work in Greensboro too, over off Battleground at Brassfield/New Garden Rd. Hey you need to come check out the Triad4wd group on yahoo there are about 65 of us that meet/greet and go wheeling! Jeeps, Toyotas, etc all as one group!

We are having a meet/greet in North High Point on Saturday, Dec 28th, at 230pm at Cicis Pizza on north Main street. We are hoping to show off the new Xmas toys, etc and check out the changes to our rigs.

We usually go wheeling every month, course that slowed with Uhwarrie closing so we prob will do 'wrenching' sessions instead till April.

Shoot me a message anytime at sammyh@triad.rr.com

Sam /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif