Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cost comparison

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Muddytazz, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I'm debating the idea of either rebuilding a SB350 or a BB454. One(but not the most important)factor is the cost. What is the price comparison between the 2 if rebuilding each to stock performance or mildly built.

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

One thing to consider is that if you wanted a certain amount of HP or torque you will spend 1.5 to 2 times as much to build a small block as a big block. As for parts, there isn't a great deal of difference, some, but not that much. The initial cost is the biggest. 350's are a dime a dozen where a BB is usually around a grand for a running one. There have been some good deals here. A fuel injection setup for a BB is a lot more and not near as many choices as a SB

Big Blocks FOREVER!!!!!!!!

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I haven't really researched the prices on the rebuild kits, but I know for a fact that a running 454, or core 454, is a LOT more than a 350 in same condition. Usually double. Thats the first place the BBC will hit your wallet, acquisition.

Good deals are out there, best if you aren't in a hurry.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

go 383. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    go 383.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having thought long and hard about this and seeing my friend's rigs with both, I agree. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

id go small block parts are a dime a dozen and available at any parts store or wrecking yard and are cheaper. big block parts are mostly available from all parts stores and are harder to find at the wrecking yards and more expensive. so for the budget minded id go small block /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Costwise, you can't beat building a SB Chevy. I did that comparison a few years ago. I finally concluded that I could build a strong engine with less headaches by sticking to a small block. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

SB if your on a budget or can get a deal. I bought a whole truck with a good 454 in it for $300. Drove it home too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Let me go ahead and tell ya, this danged 496MPFI im building is pretty much at the price of a ramjet 502......argh.....big block parts are pretty much double price of sb parts.