Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cost of painting blazer?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rolled, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Hi everybody

I have just finnished putting all the sheet metal back on my truck and I think it is just a day or two away from being ready for paint.

I have not painted a car myself in ten years and have not paid anybody to paint them for me in about eight.

What should I expect to pay? I phoned a guy that was recommended to me and he told me a *rough* estimate over the phone would be $700 for his standard and $1200 for a base coat/clear coat. Both prices include some body work. My rig is very straight, just a couple dings now, so is this a good price.

Also, I would really like some advice.

Like what questions should I be asking, what type of paint should I stay away from, what should I do if the body work is not good enough, what common scams/traps should I avoid, should I expect them to pull the top to paint the rails, what about door jambs, etc...?

Basicly, can anybody tell me what to expect before I go out and get bids.

I would love to hear from some of you guys who paint or do body work for a living. That is if you want to give up your secrets /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

All responses will be greatly appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

MY GAWD I"m moving to arizona....my truck has very minimal amounts of rust- rockers and a small amount on the rear fenders...the front is new...already primed etc... I was going with black- and my quote was.........5500-7500 depending on what he ran into with the rockers- and/or any other rust.....

I changed my mind- going to run the same color scheme as Rebel88- with a grey center & Red trim- dropped my price down about 2K....blacks not a painters friend I guess

Brandy

3. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

I (or more correctly, my dad, when the truck was still his) paid 6K to have it compelely stripped down, and repainted midnight blue with black hardtop. Don't know if that included having them repaint the hardtop because it came out too glossy the first time. But if they didn't charge for that, it makes up for them dropping the angle grinder on my hood.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> For those prices you shouldn't really expect much. I doubt if he'll pull the top, and he'll be masking things off instead of removing them to pain underneath them. Things like door handles and window trim, for example, possibly even the marker lights and taillights. $1200 is a very low price for a good paint job, in my experience, especially if you need any body work. I'd get a quote for a paint job that includes removing everything so it gets painted under, including the window trim, any side trim, lights, grill, door weatherstripping, door handles and locks, all that stuff. </font>

5. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

I would recomend that you take all you trim pieces/ect things such as your top would probably not be included in this quote. I would strip the truck including the handles and key locks as well. These if not painted will leave an edge and will leave a greater chance for you paint to chip away. Since your in az I would take a trip down to 20st auto if your in the phoenix area, the will sell and install a new windshield for 95.00 and this way you can have the windshield eges painted with out the gasket in place. I would just tow your truck to the paint place a tow dolly is around 50 bucks to rent or a buddy with a trailer is free. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

If you beet your truck on a regular basis I would just go with a 300.00 mayyco paint job so if you trash it you can just repaint that sucker a diffent color every year /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

let me know where your at in az /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 90K5Blazer

90K5Blazer Registered Member

Supersize 75 has it right. If you want to have a great looking never on the trails rig, then go with the expesive paint job (probably $5000) if you want a dailydriver/have fun on every trail, not worry about scratches (or custom pinstriping as I like to call them)then go to macco pay $300 and get it repainted every couple years.
    I did the macco thing and 2 weeks after having it painted, I was on a very easy trail, I lost traction and hit a tree. I was glad I went cheap! But it also looks real good too. Do all the body prep yourself (sanding, removing trim) and I bet it will look good. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

or just go to napa and buy premixed paint and sandable primer, and get a craftsman paint gun and do some practicing on an old hood or something and paint it yourself.
    thats what id do and will do on the 1 ton when i get the good cab and all body put together, ive already got a new gun, and napa is on same street as i am on /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

good luck

8. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the responses guys.

I already have the truck stripped down so they can do a better job on it. I have pulled all glass, trim, lights, grill, locks, handles, wheather stripping, seals, emblems, and took a rattle can to the hard to reach places just to make sure there was no bare spots.

This truck was just going to be a vacation vehical but I am having so much fun restoring it I think I am going to use it as a daily driver. I don't want a show truck paint job but I do want it to last a few years.

Also:
    [ducking fo cover]
    I have spent too much time and money on the rig to wheel it. I have perfect bondo free sheet metal and would hate to see it dented up. I also have $2000 in mint interior I would hate to get dirty. Before you shoot me, I just ran across a very straight 81 k5 for $200. I think I'll tear that one up on the trails /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    [/ducking for cover]

9. 90K5Blazer

90K5Blazer Registered Member

Great idea! Let us know what you decide and then we want to see pics! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

10. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

supersize75 - I forgot to mention that I am in Peoria. I already purchased a windshield before I saw the 20st Auto add in the parts section of the paper /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

11. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

ahh I see, so bring that darn thing over, I have decided now that my truck is getting painted in the garage, I have access to a "free" painter so why not get it done right for the same cost as maycco /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif btw he is a close friend of the family, I aint that lucky. I also found a great place for cheap powdercoating in phoenix too cheapest around and great turn around time /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif