Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cost to go full convertible?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GRAYTEXK5, Mar 18, 2005.

1. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

hey guys, I have a question about converting to a full convertible. anyone have any idea what would be a fair price to have a shop do this? I realize most of you that have done this conversion, or plan to, do it yourself...but I don't have a welder, or access to one...and even if I did, I have never welded before, and don't really know anything about it yet. and I figure, since we're talking about structural integrity here, not to mention making sure everything lines up properly to avoid leaks and such....this isn't the project to practice on. anyway...the guy at the local paint & body shop quoted me something like $1100+, without paint. it started out like $700...but he didn't seem to be too familiar with blazers at all, and somehow he wasn't thinking about cutting the back of the cab, and filling the holes. when I explained this to him...he said it would be about $1100. I didn't see how that would be an extra $400 worth of work? granted, I haven't shopped around yet, I just asked the one place...but I just wanted to hear from some of you, if this seemed like a fair price, or if this is what I should expect to pay just about anywhere. it seems kinda steep to me. :dunno:

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Don't forget you'll either need a full cage or some other way of stiffening the body once the half cab is gone.

I spent the most time removing and re-installing my windshield. If I were to do it again I'd call a mobile glass company...spend under $100 and save myself the aggravation.

The removal of my half cab took 1 1/2 hours
    Once the glass was out the windshield frame grafting took me an hour. Very little body work needs to be done on that part. Capping the bedsides is also not hard, although I haven't 'finished' that area. Cutting the doors took 10 minutes per side.

I'd guess a body shop should be able to do the swap in 6 hours or less, plus a few minutes to touch up the paint. It sounds to me like they're quoting pretty high to cover for not quite knowing what they're up against.

I think you might be better off to get a friend to help you out...

Rene

3. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

yeah, I was already planning on installing at least a full cage first, and maybe some sliders at some point, to help stiffen it all up. that's another reason I didn't really wanna spend that much on having this done, since the cage is already gonna set me back at least $600-$800. I thought that price sounded kinda high, since I didn't think there would be all that much work involved. but since I couldn't really say for sure, having never done it personally...I wanted to hear from someone who had. I'll keep shopping around, maybe I can find a shop that's maybe dealt with sort of thing before, and could gimme a better price on it. unless someone from here in the DFW area knows how, and would be willing to help? anyway, thanks for the advice.

4. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

try s&w they have a little cheaper cages that are very good quality
    http://swracecars.com/

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

from what I have seen there cages fit like crap. But if you dotn really care about the fitment than its a good deal. I would get a smitty built cage before I got a S&W cage.