Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

COST TO INSTALL GEARS?LOCKER

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by purple89jimmy, Aug 1, 2001.

1. purple89jimmy

purple89jimmy Registered Member

How much should I expect for a shop to charge for installation of new R&P front and rear with a locker? I just got a quote and I was shocked. Please respond I need your input.

2. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

I got mine istalled for 4 bills apiece, But those where LSD's, Im sure it would be the same with lockers,,(Less the price of the locker)

" Wider IS Better!!!"<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/wheelininco>www.community.webshots.com/user/wheelininco</a>

3. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Average going rate for the install alone $250 rear and $350 front. Just the install, parts extra.

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I was quated $375.00 for the front and $300.00 for the rear......My brother is a mech. But hadn't done gears since he was in school. He talked to one of his co-workers who came over to my house on a saturday and we put them in. I paid him $400.00 and I learned a lot. Like I wouldn't do them myself..........Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....

5. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

I Paid $1850.00 Parts And Labor. For 4.56 Gears F/R,Detroit Lockers F/R,Bearings,Seals and Some Other Small Set Up Parts When I Had Mine Redone Last Year.

6. denver75k5

Remember though I live in Co. where EVERYTHING is Expensive!! (At least in denver)

" Wider IS Better!!!"<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/wheelininco>www.community.webshots.com/user/wheelininco</a>

7. denver75k5

Just an example: 290,000 for a 700 sqare foot condo in downtown!!! OUCH!!!!!!

8. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

By the way, did you want that condo completed on the interior? add 85,000..............

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated

9. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You have to remember. I live in CALIF where everything is twice as much as the rest of the country..........Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....

10. ScoobyDann

ScoobyDann 1/2 ton status

El Paso, TX (Far West Texas near Las Cruses
    i hate to say it but back in the day (about 1 year ago)I paid $300 f/r w/ detroit rear and posi front. needless to say hes not charging that any more.

sun desert offroad http://community.webshots.com/user/scoobydann

11. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I'm getting ready to have gears and lockers put in both my axles. I have done a lot of shopping around. I have consistently been told $300 an axle. One shop said $600 an axle! But I think they just didn't want to do it. I finally found a guy that will do it an dlet me help (so I can learn) for $150-200 an axle.

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>

12. It depends on hwere you live. But the going average is about 4 hours labor give or take an hour for the front.
    But your looking at 225 for parts for the R+P and extra for the locker oyur wanting. So around here at 50 and hour thats about 200 labor for the rear adn about 250-300 for the front.

Damn I need to learn how to use my welder!![​IMG]
    (90 Jimmy 350 TBI, 14 FF/10 bolt, 4.56, tires ??
    (ftn96)