Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cost to install weld in steering brace?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84k5, Aug 2, 2000.

1. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

About how much does it cost to have a weld in steering brace installed? Thanks.

Brian
    84k5, 4"Skyjacker lift,33x12.5 Goodyear MTR, 15x10 Bajas

2. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I would think that the labor would run you less than $100 for the actual welding. I did mine myself and it was fairly easy. Is your frame already cracked? If not, you might want to just go for the bolt in frame brace that Offroad Design makes.

3. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

My frame is not cracked yet. I am leaning towards the weld in brace because of all the lines in the way of the bolt in version. My Blazer has an oil cooler and the lines run right through a hole in the crossmember near where the bolt in brace goes. The power steering lines are also over in the way.

Brian

4. 73Jimmy

73Jimmy Registered Member

My frame was cracked almost all the way through.. just a strap of the top frame holding it together.
    It cost $130 to have the ORD repair kit welded in and the ORD brace installed. The local welding shop
    I usually use wouldn't touch it because it was an auto frame. I took it to an auto body shop and they
    knew all about it, took about 3 hours.

5. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Will the ord steering box brace bolt in when you have the factory oil cooler? Looked at mine last night after reading 84k5's post and the oil lines are very close to the hole. Does anyone have the engine oil cooler from the factory and installed ord's steering brace. Thanks for any replies.

6. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I went to four wheel parts today, only because they are the only local shop with the weld in steering brace. I asked them how much it cost to install and they told me $300. Needless to say, I won't be getting it done there. Anyone know if the bolt in one will fit with the factory oil cooler?

Brian

7. jim82

jim82 Registered Member

guys,
    check out www.fly-n-hi.com, they had the kits for like 60-70$ better than $130 even with shipping.

8. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I just checked that site and the have the brace on sale for $50! I was going to make my own but for that little it's easier to just buy it. How hard are they to install? I'm going to be installing a new radiator, tranny cooler, and core supports soon so I figured I'd do that at the same time while I've got everything apart. I'm hoping that it will only take a day to do everything.

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy