Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cost to rebuild a 14bff??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PhoenixZorn, May 3, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I'm getting a 14bff thursday or friday, and it seriously needs a rebuild... it's quite obvious. Should I do the whole thing myself, or should I send it out to get done? If I should send it out, how much should I be looking to pay for the work? If I do it myself, what would I need, and how much would it cost me? As far as I could tell, the piece is solid, no cracks or anything, just rusty and has been on the ground for a few months...

Also, an ARB is cost prohibitive at the moment, but I do want a locker in the new axle... what would you guys suggest for low price but good quality that will still allow me to daily drive the K5...

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

bring it down here to my house and we can do it in a day. Regeared, bearings, brakes, and even shaved. New spring pearches too if you need them.

3. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

now there is a hell of a deal. You didn't even mention he had to bring beer.....

4. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Have keg in garage. Cases cost too much.
    Plus i like working on trucks

5. rugger03

rugger03 1/2 ton status

Funny my friends come to my house to drink my beer while i work on my truck.....they tell the wife that they need to come over and give me a hand. What the really do is pull up a chair and shoot the ****. I just assumed it was like that for everyone? :confused:

6. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Yeah, same here. But that is half the fun. The kegerator is actually my neighbors, but we split the cost to buy each refill.

7. PhoenixZorn

I'll take you up on that offer... just tell me in advance what you think the parts will cost so I can bring along enough cash for it. As for bringing beer, since you already have a kegerator, I'll bring you a bottle of my finest absinthe. =)

You do live off base right? Base housing?

I haven't been to Great Lakes in a while... once I get to town, I'll need directions to your house. Tell me when is a good time for you, and I'll check my schedule. If I wasn't going turkey hunting this weekend, I'd probably be at your door by 7am on Saturday... heh...

8. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Not sure how much of a rebuild you want to do, so i will take a swag at guessing. The parts you should buy ahead of time and bring with you are
    • Gears and complete install kit
    • Locker
    • Disk brake brackets

Parts the we can easily get here
    • New wheel bearings
    • All the brake parts, either for a disk swap or for the drums
    • Spring perches
    • Brake lines

Complete teardown, cleaning, shave, regear, reassemble and re-paint should take about 1 day considering that we will probably have to drive sometime for a part we forgot.

Yeah i live in base housing here. it's ok but not the greatest. I would not be avail for this weekend anyway. I have to inform the wife ahead of time when i plan on doing truck repairs to something that is not mine. Between our two little girls (almost 4 and almost 2 Years old) having me in the garage all day can be a little stressful.

9. PhoenixZorn

Sounds good... I'll send you a message about when's the best time. In the meantime, I'll price out my parts and get a running total. The cost will determine when it can be done, as I have to actually save for any parts I buy in the future. After a $1600 service bill and $2000 motor... my wife won't let me use the checking account anymore. =)

10. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

In my experience with common rear axles....

If it needs more than seals it's cheaper to just buy another axle. 14FF pinion bearings will cost you $50 easy. Then again, I'm used to DNF (damn near free) half ton axles and $100 14FFs. I have replaced a buddy's whole axle with one of my 14FFs simply because his needed pinion bearings.

Just weld up the carrier for a locker. When the ARB comes just replace it.

11. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

I have a welder too. It is not the biggest baddest MIG ever, but it will defintly make a spool out of an open carrier

12. PhoenixZorn

I need to be able to drive this beast on the roads still... and welding the spiders is prohibitive of that.

13. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

get a detroit. I have one in mine and hardly ever notice it unless i am horsing around the corners

14. PhoenixZorn

I'll be switching out my 10-bolt... do I need to get a 1350 yoke as well, or will I be able to use the 1310 that's on there now?

15. PhoenixZorn

Any suggestions on where I should buy all the internals?

16. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Your drive shaft has a 1310. The 14 FF has a 1350.

They make 1310 / 1350 hybrid u-joints. If you do a search you can find the part number. I can't remember off hand. The other thing you will have to do after you install the 14FF is get a longer drive shaft. I know it sounds wrong but the pinion to axleshaft centerline distance is shorter in the 14FF than on the 10 Bolt.

17. PhoenixZorn

Oooo... I forgot to mention that I have an SM465, so according to my searching, I should already have 1350 pinion yokes... would that be correct?

18. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

No Idea about that

19. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

20. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

With an 86K5 with a 465 you should already have 1350 ujoints in the driveshaft which means the driveshaft will bolt up.

You will need wheel bearings, seals, gears, master install kit, detroit locker, etc. It will not be cheap to get the rebuild done if everything needs replaced but it is the best way to know that the axle will last.

I have about $1000-1200 in my 14bff rear after a complete going threw with new gears, bearings, seals, brakes, detroit locker, etc.

Harley