Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cost to rebuild d44 8-lug

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BulldogK5, Sep 19, 2002.

1. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a lead on a d44 and 14bolt to purchase. The price is right but the right side of the 44 is torn down. Present owner was in process of replacing all seals and found a 60. I can't rebuild it myself and was curious to know rough estimate to finish. Also, what other things should I look for to see if this is a good buy. Being a full time student and not working my wife will already be mad so I don't want to be in trouble over a bad deal. Thanks for any and all help.

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Rebuilding a 44 from the spindles out is really pretty simple. Go grab yourself a Chilton's or Haynes manual, then hook up with the parts and have at it. The parts (including the manual) will probably run you in the neighborhood of 100 bucks for one side, give or take a few bucks.

3. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

Prolly gonna cost you $300 to have a pro rebuild it. Save ya marrrrrige...

now if ya gots a line on some fine wrenches then it ain to bad to do yourself. hell even a chilton manual will tell you right. jus don pay more than $200 for the stock axle (4.10 gears, no locker, old and raggedy out), specially if it ain nice an pretty. also if the axle has external hubs (six bolts hold on the hub assy) then you might want to pass and wait for a newer version with the integral hub (six allen screws hold the twisty thingy)

hope it halps

4. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Thanks for the info. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I can get both axles for $200 or 250. What parts do I need to make sure are included in order to install such as brakes & such.

5. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

get it all from hub to hub. no need worring bout finding small parts later. I'd only get accept missing calipers cause they cheep easy to get at AZ, Diskount, whatever you got that... still if you not so mechanical then find a bud that knowz what hez looking at can help you decide. how long you want be married?

6. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

grab the junk calipers if they are laying around, it will save you the core charge later on